This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike Bits and Things
Due my ex-bike being deceased, dead, gone to meet its maker etc (insert rest of the sketch here*) I am now in need of some advice. My intention was to  flog the whole bike as one. As many of you had pointed out I would poss get more for parts but I was being lazy. I was seeing some go on ebay for around £350, plus mine has non standard wheels (don't know if any of you had noticed them) and discs brakes. I would have been happy with £350.

Any how now a split is in order. How many bits should I be looking to break  :'( crack  :'( split  :'( seperate :'( divide  :'( sell off as individual components and which bits should stay together as sets, and which bits should just go straight in the bin. Also are any bits worth enough to put on here or STW, or just to cheap so put on ebay to get what I can (rough price if poss would help)

Parts I can remember of the top of my head

Frame - medium - includes free seat post mount as extra piece  :'(
Wheels - shimano mh w575 26"
Gears - rear - shimano XT stuff
Gears - front - not sure, will check, assume match the rear
Brakes - Avid juicy 5 with rotors
Fork - rock shox judy (prob can't even give this away)
Rear shock - Fox something

Other ususal stuff, stem, bars seat and post, nothing special (except thompson post at 31.6mm x 400mm straight)

My other option is to find cheap hard tail frame, and improve my bike knowledge by building it up. This would be my option if the sum of the above parts made a sale a waste of my time and effort. This option also, more importantly, not wife friendly.

*'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This bike is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't taped the seat to the frame 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's huffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-IDRIVE!!
I say, get a cheap hardtail frame of someone on here and build it up, then ride it or sell it. \

I also say....................sorry  :B :K)
Fully agree with Mash', anyone know of a 'reasonably priced' HT frame for sale within our ranks?

ps: "run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!" Big Grin Big Grin
Sell the shock. And maybe the forks. Buy a cheap sh ht frame and forks. Bolt whatever else fits on. I reckon that if you could find a frame that suits the Judys you could have this done for nothing or even a profit. And building a bike is a good way to learn some bike mechanics.
Agree with the above Wayne. Get a cheap frame and build it up, I'm always available for mechanical help (even thought I'm an electrician). Sell the idea to SWMBO as she can ride it, cheap ladies saddle, pink grips etc Big Grin This theory has worked with other members on here Blackers, Gwarn to name two. It's also what I'm doing with my old bike.

Summary

+ve's
You get 2 bikes
Possibly ride more, practice bunny hops etc while riding with her

-ve's
Short term silent treatment, until she rides the bike and brags to her friends how her man made it for her.
Take said bike down tip.

Go to nearest Pub.

Drink 10 pints.

Go to nearest bike shop and spend 4k on credit card.

Problem solved.
Making a second bike does sound, an enjoyable option, but doesn't really help with the £350 size hole in the credit card bill. So ideally, I'm looking for input into how much I should be charging for the above. If the lot was worth (very approx) 350, I wouldn't have thought the frame was any more that £150 of that, so rest should stack up to £200 ish. If people think my values are rubbish, thats what I'm after eg if the above wouldn't even get me £100 I'll happily make up a new bike out of the parts.
"Buzz" Wrote:Take said bike down tip.
Go to nearest Pub.
Drink 10 pints.
Go to nearest bike shop and spend 4k on credit card.
Problem solved.
That's it! That's the solution we all needed ;D
Surely Mashley is buying you a new carbon GT to replace the one he delibrately destroyed due to driving a diesel?
"Breezer" Wrote:Surely Mashley is buying you a new carbon GT to replace the one he delibrately destroyed due to driving a diesel?

ha ha, no but he did take a lawn mower and a drill off my hands for nothing.  Wink

Have already been offered a saracen killi comp ultralite frame for 50, or a ridgeback frame for less.  Sad