This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heckler new build idea's
Morning All

I recently got a Santa Cruz Heckler frame which I'll be building up over the next couple of weeks  ;D  

I'm going to mainly use parts from my current bike and look to changing a couple of them round when I have bit more spare cash.  I'll be using Formula K24's once I've changed the pads and bled them.  The drivetrain will be xt cranks, front mech & shifters and have a choice of xt shadow mech or xtr 971 rear mech.  Will have to get new cassette too.

I have xt/719 wheels which need truing but have also noticed that 5 spokes need replacing on the rear wheel.  I'm not sure about taking this to lbs, either Geoff Wiles or Larkfield.  Have also heard about a chap in Margate whose supposed to be quite good with wheels.  Not sure on how much this would cost to have done.  I could be tempted to buy some tubeless wheels if the right thing comes along.

I'd also like to try a shorter stem, say 80mm but for now I'll make do with my current 100mm.  If I'm right in thinking this will quicken my steering?
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
stay clear od geoff wiles !

go to harry rowland in margate, the uk's best wheel builder bar none !

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.harryrowland.co.uk">www.harryrowland.co.uk</a><!-- w -->
Thats the fell, cheers for link Morts.  Roughly whats his turn around time as IIRC somebody on here said he took ages with theirs  Undecided
80mm too long, 70 at most, I now use a 50 on my Zesty, bit twitchy on the up's but way better downhill, 55 or 60 perhaps ideal for my all round riding though.
&quot;stayhigh65&quot; Wrote:Thats the fell, cheers for link Morts.  Roughly whats his turn around time as IIRC somebody on here said he took ages with theirs  Undecided
That was Leadbasher and he had to wait over two weeks! He dosn't seem to do things in a hurry, but if he's that good and your not in a hurry is prob worth the long turn around.

Shorter stem will indeed quicken the steering. You might want to experiment with different lengths as i went through 4 or 5 till i found the right set up. Just beware that a shorter stem will make steep climbs harder. I have a 50mm and literally have to kiss the stem to get up sometimes, should really get a 65-70mm for general trail/xc rides.
As Treehugger said you will need to experiment with stems, it's difficult to say what size would work best as it depends on the reach of the bike, your own physical frame size and personal preferance. Shorter will make the steering quicker but wider bars will will slow it down again. Also to consider is the drop in height of the bars which is pretty significant from a 100mm to say a 70mm, so you may need to run more spacers or higher rise bars.

You will get an idea of what to expect here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php">http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php</a><!-- m -->
As treehugger said? I think my post was first! hmm
Sure I also read that Harry only uses silver spokes, not black ones, if that's any relevance mate.

I know Geoff Wiles was a wicked wheel builder, but he no longer works or owns the shop, so really not sure if they're any use these days.
How about Tri-the-Bike in Gravesend? They've always seemed like good guys who know their stuff, though I've no idea on wheel building?
Thanks for replies guys, advice is always appreciated Smile  

I think as far as the stem goes I'd rather not be bent double over the front to climb up anything as that for me would negate the benefits in going down.  With that in mind I'll go for an 80mm as a compromise.  Exotic get good reviews on BikeRadar and do an 80mm stem for around £15 which isnt to bad.

I'll drop Harry a line and see whats occuring there, I'm still just over a week away from having the all clear to ride again so if it takes a couple of weeks thats ok.  I also have a spare set of wheels I could use if needs be.  If he is as good as everyone suggests then I dont mind waiting.  Will have to think about the spokes though as its only 5 that need replacing so would look a little odd with the rest of the wheel being black  Undecided

I'll also contact Tri-the-bike and see what they say, has anyone here used them for wheels before?  
&quot;stayhigh65&quot; Wrote:I'll also contact Tri-the-bike and see what they say, has anyone here used them for wheels before?  

Not for wheel aside from replacing 1 spoke for me a couple of years back. but I was going to ask if they cold true mine next time im in there. They did tell me their workshop is very busy at the moment though.