This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
£5m funding for trails in South Wales
£5m funding for mountain bike trails in South Wales

Whites Level, Afan Forest Park (Russell Burton)
Trail centres in South Wales are to receive a £5 million boost following approval of a bid to establish a Centre of Excellence for Off-road Cycling in the area.

The European Regional Development Fund will provide a total of £4,978,020 to create a purpose-built mountain bike centre at Gethin, Merthyr Tydfil, improve and extend the trails at Brechfa, Cwmcarn and Afan Forest Park, and build beginner and skills areas.

Some of the money will also be used to fund a world-class mountain bike events centre at Margam Park, near Swansea.

Forestry Commission mountain bike ranger Carl Denham told us: “This is a fantastic opportunity for South Wales, not only for the mountain bikers but also for local businesses and local people. There are going to be new trails built as well as a refresh of the old favourites alongside much needed upgrades to facilities.�

The partners involved in the bid – including Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council, Forestry Commission Wales, Caerphilly County Borough Council and Visit Wales – hope to attract more visitors to the area and encourage them to stay longer, as well as providing more facilities for beginners, local families and school groups.

According to Carl Denham, projects are "ready to go" at Margam Park, Afan and Cwmcarn. We’ll bring you more details on this as soon as possible.
Great news, thanks for posting it up  ;D
Excellent news, i really want to go back to Brechfa.
Great news Smile I want to go back to Brechfa too as I was very broken the last time I was there.
id like a day trip to Brechfa as well some time after the Mega.
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:id like a day trip to Brechfa as well some time after the Mega.

Count me in, try and make it a Friday or Sunday though Wink
Service your forks first
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:id like a day trip to Brechfa as well some time after the Mega.

Never ridden Brechfa, planning to do a day there in March as part of the Afan trip.
North Wales but you know.... this bit wasnt there when we went I guess? http://dirt.mpora.com/news/coedybrenin-trail-news.html

Must be EVEN better now!  ;D

Need to get back there. The Marin Trail which me and Leigh did was also brilliant. The final descent was only slightly less fun than the end of the Beast
South Wales has some great trails attracting thousands of bikers from across the UK.

Time for somewhere else, or am I just being an arse?