This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rides near sittingbourne
Hi All,

Do any of you guys know of any rides near sittingbourne for the slightly unfit?  I have just moved there but as yet cannot find anywhere good to ride.  I used to ride around Blean and Clowes woods and never thought I would say it but I am missing them already!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
hi mate, am from sittingbourne myself. There really isn't much at all around here to ride, at least not that i'm aware of. The only thing around here that i ever ride is the seawall. Go out past Tonge and around the back of the fishing lakes and you eventually find a bumpy road that leads out onto the seawall. From then on its just grass/gravel path along through conyer,oare etc, depending on how far you want to go. I tend to ride the seawall down there then come back on the country roads. It's not a technical ride at all, but can be alright on a nice day.
However i usually find myself driving to other places to ride such as blean/blue bell hill area etc.
Oh no, that what I thought might be the case.  Time to buy a bike rack for the car then.  I will give the seawall a go though just to keep in practice.
MAtt are you familiar with the Saxon Shore Trail? - runs through Sittingbourne - would be an interesting XC day out - starts in Gillingham area but (obviously) follows the shore line as much as possible.....

Could be something to do, although Im scared travellers and their urge for metal shiny objects!
yeah, that seawall route i mentioned above is the saxon shore trail, probably should have mentioned the proper name of it  Tongue getting onto it the way i described bypasses the travellers, as the officilal "cycle route 1" goes straight through them i believe. When i've done it i usually go down as far as oare, and link it into a road ride. Well up for making a day of it one day though and heading down as far as possible
Homej lives pretty much at the start of that trail in medway, and we planned a 50mile route through medway, following the route as much as posbbile, and out along towards Whitstable - then planned on getting the train back.

Some to look into - although 50miles, its almost totally flat, but interesting none-the-less.
sounds good, have been planning on doing here to margate but medway to whitstable is probably a smilar length. and yeah 'tis totally flat, but if you do it on a good day it's a nice ride, bloody good exercise too.
If you just want a quick ride to keep fitness up, you can just pick up the sea wall at Ridham and follow it along.
From there you can make your way round to Church Marshes, or a bit further.
Or, you can cross the Swale, hook a left along the sea wall and make your way round to Rushenden.
Not exciting stuff, but they're nice rides on a nice early morning if you don't want to travel.
any voluntry trip to rushenden is either for drugs or to get your stolen goods back.
Hi I'm from Sittingbourne area, you are right there is not a great deal close to Sittingbourne, but there are some hidden single tracks and bridleways that we have discovered over the last year or so but they are seperated by lots of country lanes, so would be a route frowned apon by many.  You're not too far from the North Downs. We generally mix it up a bit, but normally manage to  create a loop of about 25 miles, heading out towards Newnham, Eastling, then towards Lenham taking in the North Downs / Pilgrims Way, then Hollingbourne, Bredgar then back to Sittingbourne. I generally do this when I cant get to Ashford or Blean, if your interested let me know, and perhaps we can organise something . Smile