This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adjusting cable disk feel
Me again...

Is there any scope for playing with the actuation of mechanical disks?

I've fiddled around with the cable to adjust the pad to rotor distance but no matter what I do I end up with a brake curve that goes something like: Nothing, nothing, more nothing, slight squeak, full skid on both wheels.

It's not been a problem up until now just pootling around Clowes wood and the little bits of singletrack off the sides, but was a bit less useful going down rooty stuff in Blean tonight
not really, it's it's fairly simple in terms of design.

how do you brake? ie, how many fingers?

my common error was braking with 2 or 3 fingers meaning I was putting way too much power on and locking up.

I'm since converted to 1 finger braking which gives greater control in terms of handling the bike and lever feel.
cable discs tend to be a bit like this and there is no actuation adjustment so far as i know, at least  on the few sets i have worked on. a friend will have a set of Avid BB5 cable discs for cheap very shortly if you are interested, they seem to be quite adequate so far as cable disc brakes go but are not as good as basic hydros.
Keep it foolish...
Moved my levers inboard the other week, so 2 fingers now - not sure how effective mechanicals would be with just the 1? It just really does seem to be all or nothing, I've got the pads about as close to the rotor as I can without them rubbing so I should get contact pretty early in the stroke but nada until about halfway
infact saying that, a very handsome chap on here may have a set of carbon avid juicy 7's available next week. totally adjustable hydro brakes.
THe best solution would be changing to hydrulic, if that's not an option (wild arse guess) then check all cables are running free/smooth, check levers for reach/leverage adjust, tune cable tension and tune our fingers with practice... how old/what type are the pads?
Hydraulics are very tempting, but given the amount that I could do to this bike I've decided that I'm better off holding back on any upgrades and riding it 'til it dies - hopefully by then work will have finally sorted a cycle to work scheme and something bouncy might come my way  Wink

Pads are as came fitted to a Hayes MX4 3 months ago so I'm assuming dirt cheap. I've checked there seems to be a decent enough amount of pad but don't know if they're sintered or organic. They've probably done about 1000 miles but mostly firetrack without braking, no long descents dragging the rear and no really aggressive braking until recently
MAy be worth taking out the pads for a clean up with a course wet n dry but other than that, just check cables/levers.
sounds like it could be cable, but also check caliper centering. if i'm right in thinking only one piston/side moves on those so you might need to realign or something, nearer to the fixed side.

could be talking out my 'arris on that one though..... but worth checking
"BMJBOY" Wrote:sounds like it could be cable, but also check caliper centering. if i'm right in thinking only one piston/side moves on those so you might need to realign or something, nearer to the fixed side.

could be talking out my 'arris on that one though..... but worth checking

Definitely just the one piston so that bit's right. I've not managed to track down a user's manual for the MX4s online, but they look simple enough so I might take them off the frame and have a bit of a poke about, no point in not giving the pads a going over at the same time either I guess. Cheers all