This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Engine Probs
My car engine is making a strange occassional clicking noise. It seems to be coming from the part that sticks out the side of the engine block that has belt things spinning on it. It happens when ticking over and whilst driving.
Any ideas?
Very gauge discription Wink

Could be bearing on pulley giving up or could be a belt breaking down, but that's not too likely if it happens at tick over.
The "occasional" is odd too. If it's the belt or pulley it should be rugular & increase with engine speed.

You say it happens whilst driving, that suggests you can hear it from the cabin, yes?
It therefore should be quite loud with bonnet open at tick over & is likely to be more than a "click".
Are tou able to expand on "click"?
"Tinc" Wrote:Very gauge discription Wink

Could be bearing on pulley giving up or could be a belt breaking down, but that's not too likely if it happens at tick over.
The "occasional" is odd too. If it's the belt or pulley it should be rugular & increase with engine speed.

You say it happens whilst driving, that suggests you can hear it from the cabin, yes?
It therefore should be quite loud with bonnet open at tick over & is likely to be more than a "click".
Are tou able to expand on "click"?

Engine speed makes no noticeable difference to the regularity. It clicks sometimes every couple of seconds, sometimes a little longer and sometimes it doesnt happen for a while.
I can only hear it with the windows open. Ive had the bonnet up and it is definately more of a click noise.

I'll probably book it in for a looksee somewhere so they can baffle me and charge me a shed loaf of cash  Big Grin >Sad
the bearing has gone in the tensioner pulley on my van, mine is a loud squeak rather than a click. The only thing that clicks that i can think of is the solenoid valve, maybe shorting? Gonna have to take it to a friendly garage, you should be able to get someone to look at it without booking it in.
You do realise that tensioner could lock solid at any point if the bearings gone and it would be highly likely to take the engine with it as the jolt of it locking would almost certainly make the cambelt skip
blackers: I'd say check your belts/pulleys. thy can start to fray and the loose parts clout the engine.
"Breezer" Wrote:You do realise that tensioner could lock solid at any point if the bearings gone and it would be highly likely to take the engine with it as the jolt of it locking would almost certainly make the cambelt skip

Its the alternator belt tensioner on my van so if it locks the worst that will happen is no power steering and the engine will overheat. Should still be able to get home though. It's only got to get me to bewel today so fingers crossed!!
:Smile  The alternator belt/pulley will be coming off the main crankshaft pulley as thats the onyl way they can work, so see post above about what will happen if it jams solid........ The waterpump is run by the cambelt so not sure why you mention overheating.
Magnetic clutch for the Aircon compressor
If you're about tomorrow when I'm heading home I'll happily pop by to assist if still relevant. What vehicle is it?