This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avid Elixir 5's - Repair or Replace
Hiya chaps

As ive mentioned my sodding elixirs have gone again !  The rear brake keeps binding and feels like its dragging constantly, its definitely a problem with the rear brake as ive swapped the brakes over and the problem doesnt occur if i mount the front caliper on the rear,  Each time this problem occurs the solution is to rebleed and reassemble the rear caliper.

Its happened 3 times now and each time has reoccured within a month ... Do i pay someone to strip and replace all seals in the caliper and have this occur again and again or just count my losses and bin them for a better more bling brakeset that doesnt have reoccurring problems ?  

Im fed up of them tbh !
There's obviousely a problem with the rear caliper so I would get it serviced with new piston and seals. Lots of us have Elixir's now and none of us have had any problems (except Nick) I think they are bloody awsome brakes so I would stick with them.
"Treehugger" Wrote:There's obviousely a problem with the rear caliper so I would get it serviced with new piston and seals. Lots of us have Elixir's now and none of us have had any problems (except Nick) I think they are bloody awsome brakes so I would stick with them.

Stop being so sensible  Sad I do like the 5's but why not use this chance to upgrade ? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_Deore_XT_Hydraulic_Disc_Brake_Set_-_OE/5360050952/">http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360050952/</a><!-- m --> MMM look at all that adjustment   :B :B

A service kit is £25-£30 plus fee's to fit, i also need new brake pads = £10 new rotors as mine are worn down = £30 .... Mark, russ and Jon have always raved about the servo-wave aswell ! for that price am i stupid to say no ?
Surely they are still within warranty?
IF within warranty, replace, if not, fix and flog and go back to rim brakes as you're clearly too macho and amazing for discs.
Steve, performance wise i dont think XT is an upgrade.
What ever you do, do it soon. The SITS is only just over a month away so unless you want Nick to kick you for hours on end I wouldn't leave it to the last minute
&quot;Laggingbehind&quot; Wrote:What ever you do, do it soon. The SITS is only just over a month away so unless you want Nick to kick you for hours on end I wouldn't leave it to the last minute

If he changes then now, there'll stil be three more changes before SITS!  Tongue
The thing is i now have it set in my mind that if i fix them ... Will they bust again ? As great brakes that they are ive lost my trust in them !
Be honest you've made your mind up that you want to change them so it should be a 'what brake' thread really Wink