This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer Tyre Advice
Im in for the 24hr (god help me) in August with everyone at SITS.

Just looking at some summer race/faster tyres.

I had some Mountain Kings, but they went walkies - and they never liked roots that much either.

Any tyres I should have a look out for, withing a reasonable  budget?

Current running High Rollers - which I love, but wouldnt mind something faster rolling for my racing snake antics, in a dry and dusty race atmos......... Big Grin
Conti vertical 2.3 and Maxxis Monorail 2.1, winning combination... so fast rolling yet a surprising amount of grip when needed due to side lugs
I if dont come first at the 24hr - I will hold you personally responsible for the tyre choice.  Wink

It has nothing to do with me being unfit.......
"BMJBOY" Wrote:I if dont come first at the 24hr - I will hold you personally responsible for the tyre choice.  Wink

It has nothing to do with me being unfit.......

Honestly the difference on hardpack terrain and roads is amazing
Small block 8s or the bonty equivalent (XR1) come highly rated.  The bonty tyre comes in a "team issue" spec which is very light.  Its not UST but i got mine tubeless without too much trouble
Erm, time to look stupid here for me.....  What is UST???
"Lucozade" Wrote:Erm, time to look stupid here for me.....  What is UST???

Mavic's name for tubeless ready..... basically rims without any internal spoke holes
Not just Mavic - universal system for tubeless

Hutchinson plus some other companies also involved in development I thought
"mudhound" Wrote:Not just Mavic - universal system for tubeless

Hutchinson plus some other companies also involved in development I thought

oooh its good when I learn something  ;D

Now for the stupid question... If there are no spoke holes inside, how do you get the nipples in
the nipples go in as normal for tightening etc

outer rim in between beads has no holes and then there the more normal inner rim in which the spokes screw in

inside the rim you get a flat smooth surface between the ledges (for the beads)

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/technologies/UST.1.9405.aspx