This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afan Advice Please
Heading down to Cardiff for the coming Bank Holiday Weekend as I'm working in the Bay that weekend.

So, heading down there on Friday and planning to go straight to Afan for a go on one of the trails with my son before the work starts on Saturday.

Wifey & Daughter will be hanging around waiting for us so can't go for too long and will have to do one trail only.

Looking at the website & thinking about time we've got vs sons fitness & ability level I'm thinking I've got a choice of 2 trails...

Penhydd
&
Y Wâl

So those who've been... Which trail d'ya reckon we should go for to get the best out of our limited time available?
If it's a coice between those two definitely the Wall. Personnally i would start from Glencorwig Ponds and do Blade as it's a better trail and not physically any harder than the Wall i think. Final decent is very rocky though so depends on you're sons skillz i guess.
Cheers Andy, thinking we'll need to start from the visitor centre as Wife n Daughter will probably go for a walk, so that was why I was thinking of the 2 I mentioned.
jonboy1066 Wrote:Cheers Andy, thinking we'll need to start from the visitor centre as Wife n Daughter will probably go for a walk, so that was why I was thinking of the 2 I mentioned.
Ah ok, in that case definitely the Wall. Penhydd used to be great but due to a tree disease most of the area was deforrested and apparently it's not as good any more. If you do the Wall, just before the final decent you come to Bryn Betws bunkhouse, opposite which is a jumpy play area and a couple of DH trails you can mess around on. There's also a cafe too.
Brilliant! Thanks mate, watched a vid of Y Wâll on YouTube with my son and it definitely looks the better trail of the 2.

Looking forward to giving it a go.
Here's another vote for Y Wal, note there is a tedious fireroad climb before you reach the best bits though, so make sure you're both well fuelled before setting off. As soon as you leave the cafe / trail centre the trail heads down to the riverside and it's quite nice and pretty, it was all newly surfaced when I rode it a couple of years back and the signage wasn't so good, but follow the river 'til you get to a large bridge, cross that and then it's all sign posted from there. Have a good one
Keep it foolish...
Wicked cheers mate.

We've grown fairly used to a long fireroad climb to get to the good stuff after our recent French adventure so I reckon we'll be ok.
The Wall is a really nice trail

Another option is the XC riding at CwmCarn up in the valleys north of Cardiff

Less for the non riders to do there though
Thanks Pittgoat, I'll bear that in mind for the future.
... Well that was a bit disappointing ...

Struck out following signs for Y Wâl ... And it all looked so promising... Climbed & climbed but the Y Wâl signs just stopped existing.

Thinking we should just carry on until we picked up another sign but one didn't appear despite many signs for Blue Scar & Penhydd...

Then we got to a sign saying The Top, but still no Y Wâl sign ... So we carried on until we passed 2 separate marker posts that were both marked number 35 Penhydd despite being about a mile apart!
Confused we rode a bit further, then just gave up on the idea of Y Wâl & followed Penhydd back to the visitor centre.

Penhydd was ok... Nowt to write home about, some parts were quite fun, but our ride ended up being only ½ the distance we intended and the wrong trail.

No idea where we went wrong.

Looks like it could be a great place, if you've got all day, or even a few days to explore.