This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can't keep it down
My front wheel on rocky/rooty climbs that is  Tongue

Even bent so far forward over the stem that I feel like I could lick the floor if I felt like it I still end up pulling my front wheel up. Not so much of a problem if I'm unclipped since I end up standing there holding my bike vertically and just looking a bit of a prat, more annoying when I end up doing the superfast spazzy unclip to avoid going ar*e over t*t  :Smile But unclipped I'm useless at sitting and spinning so end up getting off and walking, any tips?
Do you slide forward on the saddle?  You should be so far forward on the saddle that it's quite uncomfy & there's a real danger of losing it :B
Also it sounds as if you are pulling up/back on the bars as you apply power. This isn't a bad thing per se, but it does mean the front end lifts really easily. Try to be more fluid with your peddling. You need to peddle in full circles rather than just pushing down with each leg seperately.

Hope that helps.
Pretty sure I pull up quite heavily on the bars, but it keeps me down over the stem! Not really thought about where I'm positioned on the seat, I'm usually too preoccupied by the front end, I'll try to pay a bit more attention to it and see if that helps, cheers
"Heading South" Wrote:Pretty sure I pull up quite heavily on the bars, but it keeps me down over the stem! Not really thought about where I'm positioned on the seat, I'm usually too preoccupied by the front end, I'll try to pay a bit more attention to it and see if that helps, cheers

+1 for saddle advice, literally so the point of your saddle is about to disappear  :o

Id say avoid pulling up on bars to, use the legs to power up, gearing is important, too easier a gear will encourage the wheel to lift, try pushing a harder gear. Drop you wrists a bit aswell.
Drop your arms and elbows and pull backwards and down as far as you can
As ozzy said try pushing a slightly bigger gear, i used to spin like a maniac and always spent more time doing wheelies up climbs then i did on 2 wheels Big Grin keep the pedal stroke continuous and smooth
one little trick i used to get me out of the habbit for pulling up on the bars on the hills, put you hand flat on the bars (dont grip the bars with your fingers). this forces you to do the work with your legs alone and should automaticaly get you in the right gear. might not get the right gear first time of doing it but you will soon know if your legs are spinning like crazy.

Dont forget also that your using spds, so you can use both legs all the time (as long as the hill isnt too long!) i think i remember reading someone describing this methoid like a after burner on a jet, it gives a good boost of power but does suck a lot of energy in return.

ROB Smile
"Breezer" Wrote:Drop your arms and elbows and pull backwards and down as far as you can

+1, back and down, incorporate stomach and back muscles to maintain constant posture, no bobbing.
Keep it foolish...
I had the same problem, and it turned out that the bike frame was too big for me!
Since I swapped for a smaller frame, (14" Klein!)  I have no problem at all!
;D
On a wooded loose earth climb yesterday I found it was a balancing act between a wheelie or loosing grip with the rear wheel.  In the end the rear wheel won and I had to push. Sad I guess I could practice next time in a lower gear.
Any other options I might try? Undecided