This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double checking - Dropouts
Hiya chaps

I think its meant to happen but im not entirely sure,  Am i right in thinking that when a wheel is in the dropouts and is not fully tightened there is a small gap between the hub and inside surface of the dropout ? Then as you close the QR this gap disappears and clamps the wheel in place ? On about the rear here with a 10mm axle (So the hub doesnt actually sit inside the dropout it rests against it and the 10mm QR sits inside the dropout

If this isnt meant to happen i think i have a problem Sad If it is ... As you where men !
the dropouts will move in slightly as you tighten the QR, this also preloads the bearings. As long as everything is nice and tight when the QR is done up its fine. Obviously if there is a gap after tightening the QR there is a good chance the wheel will fall out!

All sounds normal to me.
[quote author=]the dropouts will move in slightly as you tighten the QR, this also preloads the bearings. As long as everything is nice and tight when the QR is done up its fine. Obviously if there is a gap after tightening the QR there is a good chance the wheel will fall out!

All sounds normal to me.[/quote]

Thanks alot Si, Alot of relief now Smile