This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oops, new project...
Took two bikes (DMR and roadie) back to parents for them to look after while I'm moving. Remembered my $hitecommuter in Glasgow is knackered and ended coming back home with a new thiefproof commuter bike. It's a handbuilt Holdsworth racer frame from... 1959! I know this as it was built for my dad when he was 14! holy carp dude! It's painted with hammerite 'cos my dad thought it would be a good idea some time ago, I've stuck some standard MTB riser bars on it and it's the most demented looking thing I've ever thrown my leg over, and I've ridden some proper weirdos... (all hot tho Wink)

But if the rubbishness of it is enough to keep the theives away then I'm happy and I know I can keep it running smoothly whilst still maintaining that 'unmaintained' look. Will it make it to it's 60th birthday, it's already over 50!
Keep it foolish...
Pictures Wink
"alkali" Wrote:Took two bikes (DMR and roadie) back to parents for them to look after while I'm moving. Remembered my $hitecommuter in Glasgow is knackered and ended coming back home with a new thiefproof commuter bike. It's a handbuilt Holdsworth racer frame from... 1959! I know this as it was built for my dad when he was 14! holy carp dude! It's painted with hammerite 'cos my dad thought it would be a good idea some time ago, I've stuck some standard MTB riser bars on it and it's the most demented looking thing I've ever thrown my leg over, and I've ridden some proper weirdos... (all hot tho Wink)

But if the rubbishness of it is enough to keep the theives away then I'm happy and I know I can keep it running smoothly whilst still maintaining that 'unmaintained' look. Will it make it to it's 60th birthday, it's already over 50!

So thats why you keep carp in your loft, some weird religion you have ?  Undecided, retrotheif proof bike, nice
no pics right now as phone is dead, will try tomorrow. Need some sexy commuting mudguards too, yummy.
Keep it foolish...
OMG!

another commuter has reared it's ugly head. Just picked up a Raleigh Amazon for nowt, it's immaculate and built like a brick outhouse. That's the new thief resistant station bike, I need to strip the crappy hammerite from the holdsworth and get it back to it's former glory. Now how do I strip poxy Hammerite...
Keep it foolish...
angle grinder
"alkali" Wrote:OMG!another commuter has reared it's ugly head. Just picked up a Raleigh Amazon for nowt, it's immaculate and built like a brick outhouse. That's the new thief resistant station bike, I need to strip the crappy hammerite from the holdsworth and get it back to it's former glory. Now how do I strip poxy Hammerite...

Nitromorse will shift it, but it takes a couple of applications & it will also eat whatever finish is underneath the Hammerite. Wink
If you are careful with the nitromors you can remove layer by layer.
is there a better way to spend a Sat evening than with some choice D&B on spotify whilst stripping and rebuilding a bike in the lounge? No, and Breezer's with me on this.

cider would seal the deal, but I'm driving later. So I'll stick to crack.
Keep it foolish...
Im not with you, im in this god forsaken county with ignorant parkers and cider and bikes don't mix, I still have the scars from riding under its influence and ending up in A&E plus I was servicing some forks and wheels in the hallway earlier, not the lounge.