This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kent noob
Hi, I'm Alex. I'm relocating to Kent (Ashford) with my family early this year (if the solicitors hurry up!) I was just after some info on the riding hot spots in the county. I'm relocating from Bedford, so my local riding hasn't been great and I'm used to having to throw my bike in the car. I used to trek to Norfolk to ride thetford forest and I have rode the xc routes at chicksands. I'm not the fittest lol. I have recently swapped the full sus for a fun hardtail. It's a 1x10 set up with a 34 tooth ring upfront so it does climb, but I'm all about the descents. Any help would be appreciated! Also I will need a good local bike shop if anyone has any recommendations. Many thanks
Hi Alex,

Ashford has Kings Wood on it's doorstep, and near Canterbury is Blean woods, both with a dense network of trails. The Medway area of North Kent has a few bigger hills.

There's also the Bedgebury Pinetum in West Kent with a red graded trail and family trail, more like a trail center.
Thanks that's really helpful! I will be sure to try them. The in laws are in the Canterbury area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All of what sirromj said plus...

I go to Bedgebury at least once but sometimes three times a week so am happy to guide people round.

Bewl Water is a nice ride around a reservoir just across the road from Bedgebury.

Across the border into Essex is the Olympic XC course at Hadleigh Park

Being in Ashford you're only 1½hr drive from Swinley forest and reasonably close to the Surrey Hills (although I haven't been to the latter yet)

For Downhill stuff there's PORC in Penshurst (just outside Tunbridge Wells)

Closer to Ashford & Canterbury I've heard of a place called Covert Woods... I've never been there myself but as a Paramedic based in Ashford I've heard a few tales from friends who've been there to scrape up mountain bikers... So it must have some challenging routes lol

Then if you've got any family/friends that you'd like to introduce to MTB but don't want them put off by committing them to long or technical rides you can head South to Betteshanger in Deal (Used to be called Fowlmead) or North to Cyclopark near Dartford.

Both are good little cycling specific centres with Road @ MTB routes where you can practice/coach/introduce others into the sport in relative safety.
jonboy1066 Wrote:Closer to Ashford & Canterbury I've heard of a place called Covert Woods... I've never been there myself but as a Paramedic based in Ashford I've heard a few tales from friends who've been there to scrape up mountain bikers... So it must have some challenging routes lol

Covert Woods near Barham. Has a few small jumps and berms, fairly short descents, but good for a bit of practice. Also has bombholes with potential to injure yourself if you're going fast enough. I did a face plant there a couple of years ago after misjudging the size of a drop.
Thanks for the help guys. I will have to take you up on your offer of a guide around bedgebury, when I'm finally down there. As for Covent wood I have ridden it once, and had some fun there! My inlaws are just up the road in Kingston.

Also when the weather gets better you may see rides for Blean, Kingswood, and Blue Bell Hill get posted up here. Mostly evening rides. Kent Trails (found on FB and have a webpage) do regular rides around the county and also further a field.
resim

Welcome.
Welcome to Ashford, happens to be my home town. Big Grin Hope your move went well.