This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking at new MTB...
Have decided I'm getting a new bike this spring, currently split as to what bike though.

Booked a test weekend with a Giant Anthem end of Feb (no test stock in March/April sadly), also quite fancy the Giant HT carbon 29er, both about £2k.
Will try to book a test Whyte 130 Yabi later today, as they've had rave reviews & look fun.

Had a look at Boardman's MTB Pro hardtail at weekend, superb value & fairly light but looks dull, plus they'll be millions of them out there.

Considering my ride for last 6 years has been a 10Kg 100mm alu hardtail, with a budget up to £2k what else should I look at?
Jay Dubster.
Moved to Radstock (nr Bath) but often in Medway & up for a pootle.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
2014 Boardman Team Carbon (yawn) 
The Anthem might be quite race oriented but worth a look. I expect a Cube might be in budget and they get good press

Have to admit up not too clued up these days!
Going from a 100mm ht the Anthem probably won't feel that dissimilar although modern geometry tends to be a little more relaxed.

The Anthems are always very well received as being surprisingly trail worthy for an xc bike but if you did want a bit of extra bounce they make an Anthem x.

The Whyte T129's are also well thought of as well, it's a great piece of kit for the money and always leaves me grinning.

Other than being 27.5 and having a more Enduro focus I don't know much more about the 130.

Nigel had a Cube Attention carbon ht a few weeks back that he was very complimentary about and the Specialized Cambers are nice too. Breezer has one iirc.

HTH :mrgreen:
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Don't forget Canyon. Still cracking value and good quality.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Very much so, the only trouble being the lack of testing opportunities though.

nerve
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
I don't think I've ever test ridden a bike

Not to say you shouldn't - it's just I've never managed to
Canyon have an appalling record of failed delivery times and customer service. May be a nice bike but if it goes tits up you'll be left with a mountain of hassle to climb....climbing on foot that is because you won't have a bike or the deposit money to get something else..
Had a proper play with a T130 today, super tasty bit of kit.
Is heavier than I'm used to and felt very long, but that's the same story with every FS bike I've looked at lately. Seems 13kg/29lb is the new norm Sad

UK proof frame & bearings, plus good kit as standard it seems like a decent package LINK.
I'm also quite swayed by the full UK support & warranties; lifetime bearings with (mostly) next day delivery, 4 year warranty on frame, 2 years on shocks... Oh, and it's one of the few bikes I've actually fancied for a while. Nothing very exciting/sexy out there in my mind. Sad as that sounds.
The current front runner methinks Smile

Interested to see how I get on with the Anthem in 2 weeks, hope the weather cheers up or it won't be much fun testing it !!
Jay Dubster.
Moved to Radstock (nr Bath) but often in Medway & up for a pootle.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
2014 Boardman Team Carbon (yawn) 
Never had a problem with Canyon. They have UK customer service and when I broke a seat clamp they dispatched a new one for me on next day delivery no questions asked. I believe the delays were caused by a system error. A big problem yes but not an intentional move towards bad service. My roadie has taken some punishment over its life and it's still running very well and cost nearly half what an equivalent spec elsewhere would have.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
dubster Wrote:Had a proper play with a T130 today, super tasty bit of kit.
Is heavier than I'm used to and felt very long, but that's the same story with every FS bike I've looked at lately. Seems 13kg/29lb is the new norm Sad

UK proof frame & bearings, plus good kit as standard it seems like a decent package LINK.
I'm also quite swayed by the full UK support & warranties; lifetime bearings with (mostly) next day delivery, 4 year warranty on frame, 2 years on shocks... Oh, and it's one of the few bikes I've actually fancied for a while. Nothing very exciting/sexy out there in my mind. Sad as that sounds.
The current front runner methinks Smile

Interested to see how I get on with the Anthem in 2 weeks, hope the weather cheers up or it won't be much fun testing it !!

Still love my Whyte, although it's not had much use in recent years