This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baggy Shorts & Knee Pads...
With new bike comes new clothing Smile
Suppose I had to give up the lycra shorts at some point, and going full sus is definitely that time.

So, can I have some useful recommendations on baggy shorts, normal or 3/4 I don't care (or know tbh!)
Budget realistically about £50 I guess. Endura and Altura have a few decent options.

I'm also looking at knee pads for the near future, lightweight & breathable but actually work when you need em to.

I'm wary of online reviews, so figured the great Sketchy crew would have more plenty of experience & knowledge.
Jay Dubster.
Moved to Radstock (nr Bath) but often in Medway & up for a pootle.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
2014 Boardman Team Carbon (yawn) 
Endura Singletrack II - my waist 32" - their size chart says S 31"-32" - I say eeeek bit tight. Eventually I hacked off the velcro tightening bits. Defo Summer short.

Endura HumVee 3/4 length (not lite version) - went for M 33"-35" due to above - I say uhhhh rather too loose. Good for a Winter short, very tough wearing, quite heavy.
Shorts are tricky, think it's best to try a few on to see. Don't forget chain reaction returns are free and really easy.
As for pads if your after some thing you forget your wearing, I've had a pair or g form pads for about two years now and wear them Kent/Surrey and all the trail center stuff around pad the uk. Then when doing more extrem I switch to poc pads.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/g-form-pro-x-knee-pad/rp-prod129608">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/g-fo ... prod129608</a><!-- m -->
Have to go a size up from what you normally wear , I'm a large in these but medium fro other pads. Look flimsy but they harden on impact and I've had a few good tumbles wearing these and come away unscathed. My wife has the fox launch enduro pads, which to me are a peice of noprean with a slice of ordainary foam in them. Not much cop in my opinion.
But as with the shorts, it comes down to what fits you best.
So for me a pad you can wear for all day spinning and not realise you have them on the g form works for me.
Thanks guys, that's crackin info Smile
Hadn't seen the G-Form, so will get a pair ordered on pay day, god knows on the sizing so will go with large, but as you say returns are free n easy.

Shorts wise, not sure either of those are glowing reviews Sir Morris, but I see what you mean :lol:

Am considering Endura MTR and (according to size guide) should be a Medium.
Other option is Madison Addict DWR shorts, bit more £££ but water resistant, hard wearing & well liked.
Another option could be Race Face Ambush actually.
I'll avoid the Fox Launch pads though, sound kinda pointless.

As you've both said though, I'll have to find an LBS stockist and actually try some on, like in the good old days!
Jay Dubster.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
Most of my shorts are Endura & they work well for me. Personally I would also look around for undershorts instead of wearing normal lyra underneath. They are much thinner & also mesh down the legs so much cooler for summer use..
I have G form knee pads, very comfy but no protection, Enduro magazine did a lab test of knee pads and the G form did very poorly, there are better lightweight pads available.

I have to wear POC for everything now.

I bought some Royal shoets cheap off of CRC and they have been great.
Lee Gee Wrote:I have G form knee pads, very comfy but no protection, Enduro magazine did a lab test of knee pads and the G form did very poorly, there are better lightweight pads available.

I have to wear POC for everything now.

I bought some Royal shoets cheap off of CRC and they have been great.

To be fair, I'd listen to Lee for I know the man has done his research on what protects best.
As said I do agree poc are great, only thick knee pad that doesn't rub my thin granny skin raw, but I do find them them still big bulky for every day riding. Comes down to what level of protection your after verses level of comfort.
Out of interest Lee, What light weight pads came out best in the test?
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/back-issue-twel...grouptest/

There weren't really many light weights in this test. I think this test has some value, the Lab used is owned by SAS-tec and their shock absorbing material is used in some of the pads in the test. The fact they accepted someone elses product works better to me means its not the normal biased paid off magazine test.
Dianese trail skins seem popular on STW
Lee Gee Wrote:http://enduro-mtb.com/en/back-issue-twel...grouptest/

There weren't really many light weights in this test. I think this test has some value, the Lab used is owned by SAS-tec and their shock absorbing material is used in some of the pads in the test. The fact they accepted someone elses product works better to me means its not the normal biased paid off magazine test.
Dianese trail skins seem popular on STW

Liking the look of the trail skins. Had the g forms for 3 years and have stood up to the skid crash test challenge, but there pretty knackered now. Think il have go with some trail skins next. Lots more light weight ones to chose from now.
Thanks lee.
Cheers guys! Some great info here Big Grin

Flicked thru a recent MBUK at weekend and these came out on top for comfort & protection and are kinda on budget at £60...
7-IDP Black Transition Knee Pads
Then again looking for that link this morning, the Fox Launch Enduro pads also come up well, where Skid noted they only have an ickle foam pad for protection, so maybe not the most unbiased reviews Wink
Jay Dubster.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000