This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 deaths in 5 days
Had a meeting in London today and got talking to the bloke about road cyclingWink

He said he was thinking about using the Barclays bikes but there as been 2 x cyclist deaths in the last 5 days - this was old street.......how bad is that....
Sad news.

A possible downside to the Boris bikes - people who dont normally ride, or would usually ride a tow path and aren't used to riding in traffic suddenly start weaving through queues and what not in central London, pretty much asking for trouble...?
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Actually the cyclist in old street didnt die but had severe leg injurys, i work in old street, it was a scaffolding lorry and the road was closed for about 5 hours, it wasnt even a borris bike, I saw it laying on the floor in a twisted crushed mess.

Cycling in london is fine if you know what your doing and be cautious. The amount of people i see that cant handle a bike, cant use proper road disipline and generally dont know how to keep them selves safe. I only know what im doing as i have a driving license and ive done my cycling thingy when i was a kid, this is so important when cycling in london as it is very busy and you need to know where to go on the roads. Unfortunately the majority of deaths are women, as they cant keep up with the fast moving traffic and put themselves in the wrong place.
Oh actually a work college said there was another one yesterday, It is a busy roundabout and i see cyclist moving across the wrong lanes all the time.
"Buzz" Wrote:Oh actually a work college said there was another one yesterday, It is a busy roundabout and i see cyclist moving across the wrong lanes all the time.
I dunno how the London cycle couriers last as long as they do  :o
"Abzz" Wrote:I dunno how the London cycle couriers last as long as they do  :o

Speed and commitment.
Yup, speed is your freind, keeping up with traffic and getting out of trouble quick.
I used to delibrately go down Bristol city centre in rush hour when at uni as I loved playing with the traffic
One of the things I enjoy about the ride home, sprinting off the traffic lights and filtering through traffic
Hi buzz yeah he said it was on a roundabout and it was closed off for hours and they were taking measurements etc and he saw the bike looked like twisted can.........he didn't say it was a BArclays bike it was the Barclays bikes he thinking about using but due to those two accidents (he said they both died) has decided against it.....