This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post winter ride maintenance
Having been out on a few muddy night rides recently the bike is in need of a serious clean after every ride.

I generally use the jetwasher, i know but from a distance, then shower with the hose and lastly use a wet cloth and dry with an old towel.  After this a use chain lube, brake disc spray and thats about it. Been thinking about buying Fork Juice?

What does your winter post ride clean consist of and what lubes do you use?
wash (dirtworker) with Muc Off.

Lube rear mech with Bike Spray, and use same to remove access water from chain.
Lube chain with Pro Link Pro Gold Dry Lube
Use Fork Juice on Forks, rear shock, then give the whole crank assembly, chain guide, downtube and BB area a spray as it helps with cleaning when riding in the mud.
  • Hose bike down quickly
  • Spray with Fenwicks or Mucoff
  • Now leave for 5 mins while I empty camelbak bladder and hang helmet up and clean shoes (sometimes)
  • Hose off again
  • Dry frame and bars etc with some rag
  • Clean chain with chain cleaner
  • Go and have a shower and put clothes in wash
  • Lube chain
  • Ready to go for next time ;D ;D
Looks like a long time in list form but doesn't take long really and I also perversely quite enjoy it.
Bike gets a more in depth clean & Lube when X Factor, Emmerdale etc are on TV
Finish ride.

Hose down with dirtworker.
Scrub with various brushes.
Apply GT85 on drivechain area.

Put it back of car.
Remove from car.

Apply oil.

Put in Bedroom.
"Buzz" Wrote:Finish ride.

Scrub with various brushes.
Apply GT85 on drivechain area.

Put it back of car.
Remove from car.

Apply oil.

Put in Bedroom.

and make love to it with more lube   Tongue
Hose off majority of crud with hose
Dowse with fenwicks cleaner, all over. Leave for few mins.
Re-hose and brush of dirt.
Leave to dry for a bit
Dry and polish with gt85'd rag
Treat drivetrain with gt85 and finishline lube.

The abovr is all time depandant obviously.
:B
Remember it needs cleaning....  and promise to do it tomorrow.
Remember it need cleaning....
spray with H[sup]2[/sup]O and rub a litte with my car cleaning brush (i have a dirty car....)
and we're done.

Realise the chain needs oiling....
Buy replacement chain due to rust....  :Smile

Scratch head when it's not running as well as it should.... (I WILL learn oneday...)
Ha ha Love it Tongue
"impished" Wrote::B
Remember it needs cleaning....  and promise to do it tomorrow.
Remember it need cleaning....
spray with H[sup]2[/sup]O and rub a litte with my car cleaning brush (i have a dirty car....)
and we're done.

Realise the chain needs oiling....
Buy replacement chain due to rust....  :Smile

Scratch head when it's not running as well as it should.... (I WILL learn oneday...)

Thought your cleaning ritual would go something like that Big Grin

Me?  

Get home,

Get food,

Decide i can't be arsed to clean right away, will do later,

It's 11pm and i remember i haven't cleaned the bike!

Leave in garage and use other bike to ride to work till next ride, even though the Enduro still has Wet Screams on,

Frantically clean bike with hose and various brushes the evening before riding, which takes 3 times as long as i've left it for several day's+ to dry hard, dry chain
and re-lube, ride around the road to dry brakes and sort gears out... realize i look like a kid with a new bike on Christmas day and leg it back to the garage,

Prommis to myself that i will clean it strait away next time :B
Unless the chain is completely caked in mud I use the chain cleaner first and get that nice and coated with muc off chain cleaner.
Bust out the pressure washer and clean as much crap and crud off the entire bike being careful as to not penetrate any seal and bearings with it.
Spray bike with muc off cleaner and aggitate any grime or muc that I didnt manage to get with the pressure washer.
Use the pressure washer again to clean off anything left and the soap residue.
Bounce the bike a bit to drop off excess water and use a rag to soak up the most wet bits.
Lube the chain/cassette/derailleurs and use disc brake cleaner.
Put into garage and cover with blanky to put it to bed Big Grin