This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturday road ride
My very first thread in this section.  I've given in to peer pressure and simi joined the darkside (just as long as someone can throw mud over my bike so i can spend hours cleaning it after  ;D ).

I've got a pass to go riding on saturday but no car. Wideload and i plan to in for a road ride rather than get stuck in mud in surrey.

We have discussed 2 options:
1) Depending on wind direction, either get a trian down to ramsgate and ride home (Chatham/Sittingbourne) or ride down and get train back. And get fish and chips enroute at Hernbay or witstable. This will be a ride of around 50 mile to medway and shorter to sb.
2) if i can get a lift there, i know a beautiful ride that starts at bridgar (by sittingbourne). It is around 32 mile long but tough. It goes over the north downs, over the m20, over greensand ridge into the lowlands of kent to headcorn. It then loops back over gs ridge, passed leeds castle, back up the north downs to base.

Anyone up for either of these?
Rainham to Faversham and back 40 miles or so and easy through back lanes below A2 - did this from my house 45 miles in 3 hours in first ride on road bike for ages in Jan

Local road club go to Whitstable and back from rainham on B group rides which inve done so why are you getting train?

Do a nice route from Bearsted to Sarre and back via Faversham and back via Chartham downs -long route

Reckon 60 to 70 milers easy for you guys considering the long MTB rides you do

Tinc does similar loops down that way
"BottleIt" Wrote:My very first thread in this section.  I've given in to peer pressure and simi joined the darkside (just as long as someone can throw mud over my bike so i can spend hours cleaning it after  ;D ).

I've got a pass to go riding on saturday but no car. Wideload and i plan to in for a road ride rather than get stuck in mud in surrey.

We have discussed 2 options:
1) Depending on wind direction, either get a trian down to ramsgate and ride home (Chatham/Sittingbourne) or ride down and get train back. And get fish and chips enroute at Hernbay or witstable. This will be a ride of around 50 mile to medway and shorter to sb.
2) if i can get a lift there, i know a beautiful ride that starts at bridgar (by sittingbourne). It is around 32 mile long but tough. It goes over the north downs, over the m20, over greensand ridge into the lowlands of kent to headcorn. It then loops back over gs ridge, passed leeds castle, back up the north downs to base.

Anyone up for either of these?

My road bike after HOTA is 10 times filthier than my Specialized has been after the first 2 rounds of the Gorricks. If you put in a long stint on the road expect everything to be filthy and covered in road dust/crap.
Im working saturday so cant go but will watch very closely your ideas and that as could book time off at very short notice if need be Smile
stop for chips in Whitstable, there's a nice chippy on the left of the high street where it's still one way, opposite a bus stop and near a tapas bar I think, you can sit in if it's cold or windy too. Bird in there was quite fit which was nice... give her my love
Keep it foolish...
Don't bother with the train anywhere - just do a loop.
There are almost too many options to mention for a road ride from Medway.

My "usual" is an 08:00 getaway from Medway to Faversham straight down the A2 time trial stylee, then back to Medway via the lanes at a slightly nicer pace, enjoy a 40mph descent of Hollinbourne Hill & then the grand finale up Boxley Hill.

Can vary the route between 50 & 70 miles. I'm usually home around 11:00 & always by 12:00 ;D

(Actually I must start doing these again very soon :B)
"Tinc" Wrote:My "usual" is an 08:00 getaway from Medway to Faversham straight down the A2 time trial stylee, then back to Medway via the lanes at a slightly nicer pace
(Actually I must start doing these again very soon :B)

I hope your offer still stands for this as we spoke about last wednesday Smile as I can be in teynham or medway. Not sure about the time trial style but willing to give it a go Smile
"HillBilly Dave" Wrote:I hope your offer still stands for this as we spoke about last wednesday Smile as I can be in teynham or medway. Not sure about the time trial style but willing to give it a go Smile

Yeah, we'll work something out, promise.
I don't think I can ride this weekend, but give me gyp about getting out soon eh?
Cant do Saturday as going to Gills v Bradford  Sad

May be up for somthing on Sunday anyone Undecided

One problem is I think I have developed Shingles (going to doctor tomorrow to confirm) Bloody painful at the moment but no rash yet but will take doctors advice on excersise with this virus?
"Abzz" Wrote:Cant do Saturday as going to Gills v Bradford  Sad

May be up for somthing on Sunday anyone Undecided

One problem is I think I have developed Shingles (going to doctor tomorrow to confirm) Bloody painful at the moment but no rash yet but will take doctors advice on excersise with this virus?

Bloody hell. Fingers crossed for you that it isnt shingles.