This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOT
As mentioned elsewhere I currently have most of the innards of my car stripped out due to a leaky heater scuttle cover. My car is also due its MOT.

Its gonna take VW a little while to get the parts in for the leak, plus have a few bits in the post (new sound deadening, underlay) and as I only have weekends to work on the car and need fair weather to do it it may take 2-3 weeks to get it all back in. In the meantime I want to still drive it so I need to get the MOT done.

What obligations am I under regarding the interior of the car? It takes 2 minutes to put the seats back in and the seatbelts in place, it would just be missing bits of Dash/Carpet/underlay/sound deadening. Other than that its completely road worthy and would fly through an MOT (I'll eat these words later).  So will it be ok to put through the test stripped out?
no carpet is ok but put the dash back and cover any sharp edges with gaffa tape
"leadbasher" Wrote:no carpet is ok but put the dash back and cover any sharp edges with gaffa tape

+1 Car doesnt have to have all interior in to pass MOT but as leadbasher says, no sharp surfaces. I used to drive my MGOC Maestro on the road (and to race days!) and that used to get MOTed OK in full stripped out race trim.
Cool cheers guys. I'm gawping at how much car underlay is. Its ridiculous.
"General Sparks" Wrote:Cool cheers guys. I'm gawping at how much car underlay is. Its ridiculous.

Are you using somthing trick like "Dynamat" or whatever its called ?
No, just looking for underlay, may just get some from the carpet shop or use some closed cell foam.
"General Sparks" Wrote:No, just looking for underlay, may just get some from the carpet shop or use some closed cell foam.

Bloke on a car forum says you can use this?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&pq=what%20can%20i%20use%20as%20car%20underlay&xhr=t&q=envirolay&cp=0&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=envirolay&pbx=1&fp=7fbe243709a5691&bs=1">http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&pq=what% ... a5691&bs=1</a><!-- m -->
Envirolay
Cheers Abzz. If that kind of stuff is ok then its easily sourced at B&Q.
&quot;General Sparks&quot; Wrote:Cheers Abzz. If that kind of stuff is ok then its easily sourced at B&Q.

I think it depends on the density mate, I think ordinary underlay would break up due to the type of use as people use their heels on the carpet in cars  Undecided thought of looking in the local breakers for some genuine VW stuff?