This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clunking noise
Here is the dilemma. Cycling away and there is like a clunking/creaking noise coming from my front chainset area. The noise recently started getting more frequent with the more power I put through the pedals. It sometimes does it while lightly riding but mostly when putting force in. At full accelaration it does it about 3times a revolution. I thought it might be the bottom bracket but the noise appears to move with the crank arm more than anything else. Could it be dirt in the spindle? Or the crank arm getting weak as its deff the left side! I am considering a new bottom bracket just because of my phobia of them breaking (doing 24mph+ standing and it broke = hospital time). The bottom bracket in question has done I would say well above 2k miles! Any ideas would be great as to where to start looking or thinking.
possibly the pedal? As you say it's the left side and I'd expect a fault with the bottom bracket to show up similarly both sides (prepares to eat words) My left pedal is currently starting to get a clunky feeling and is worse under power (so not a problem for me then). I'd be surprised if it's your cranks themselves unless you've let them get loose on the bb axle. Can you swap a pedal off of another bike quickly to try it? Remember left pedal = left hand thread
Keep it foolish...
Strip down, clean and examine?  Sure its not a pedal?
Nothing creaks when nothing moves, so you're looking for something loose or worn.

Give it a good clean & dry off, then look for movement at the BB, crankarms & pedals.
Can be a small movement, so use plenty of force & look hard.

If you can't find anything, take it to bits. Is anything easy to undo or look worn?
No?
Clean eaverything, apply a thin smear of grease to everything, put it back together & do it up nice & tight.
Ride & listen.

Follow the above procedure & you should either find or inadvertantly cure the problem ;D
could very well be the BB. Before you splash out though just check round the bike to make sure nothing obvious is loose, crank arm securing bolts, chain ring bolts, pedal spindles. If you get the noise when you pedal out of the saddle then it is most likely pedal/crank/chainring/BB related. If it stops when pedalling out of the saddle it may well be the saddle itself as they are often the cause of creaking noises.

Start with the free stuff ie check everything is tight
lube anything that should be lubed, this should include a strip down of pedal bearings, or try a different set of pedals.

You could try and service the BB before replacing, some are easier than others.
Nothing creaks when nothing moves, so you're looking for something loose or worn.

Give it a good clean & dry off, then look for movement at the BB, crankarms & pedals.
It's usually easier to feel small movements than seen them so put your finger on joints when your pulling things around.

If you can't find anything, take it to bits. Is anything easy to undo or look worn?
No?
Clean eaverything, apply a thin smear of grease to everything, put it back together & do it up nice & tight.
Ride & listen.

Follow the above procedure & you should either find or inadvertantly cure the problem ;D
"Tinc" Wrote:Nothing creaks when nothing moves, so you're looking for something loose or worn.

It's usually easier to feel small movements than seen them so put your finger on joints when your pulling things around.

No?
Ride & listen.

We heard you the first time  Big Grin Big Grin

For what its worth the non drive side BB bearings normally wear before the drive side
After spending an evening tinkering I came to there conclusions. The big again ring has play when you touch the front of the chainset. The rear de-railour needs a new pulley wheel. The chain would slap against the frame so removed a link and the power goes down fine. However the creeky pedals theory I think its the bottom bracket is at the end of its life. Theres nothing else It could be apart from the crank arms becoming weak under constant use. So new bottom bracket and chainset it is for this year. And new rear pulley of course. The advice was sound and spot on for me Smile
I got a spare jockey wheel from an xt mech knocking around somewhere  Wink
After numerous phone calls to cycle shops and the damn half very week no one cam fit my bike in for a quick swap jobbie so anyone fancy putting a new chainset on the road bike and possibly swapping over my bottom bracket if I can get my hands on one for a couple crates  of beer. Cycle shop has said 15quid for them  to do the 2 with me supplying the bottom bracket. Cam bring the bike to you and situated in medway near kingsnorth powerstation.