This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRC might have a security issue
Morning All,

There are threads on singletrack and bikeradar about people's card details being taken after CRC purchases. I've just checked my account since I ordered some bits and pieces from CRC last Sunday and some scrote in Slough has kindly used £15 of my money to top up their phone.

Might be worth checking your accounts if you've bought recently
I ordered from these for the first time this weekend and used paypal with an unregistered account. Hopefully ill be one of the lucky ones!
I always pay by Pay Pal so I should be ok
Just bought my new frame from them!!

Checked my account and nothing out of the ordinary so looks like Im alright, have CRC said anything about it themselves?
CRC take 4+ months to reply etc to anything so dont expect to hear for a long time. Think ive used paypal the last few orders though so hopefully ok. Seem to recall another big UK bike retailer has similar issues a couple of years back and a friend had his done twice
"Treehugger" Wrote:I always pay by Pay Pal so I should be ok

You had better get your nan to check her accounts Wink
Will never get old..

Just saw the thread on STW, seems like quite a lot affected, mostly ending up being scammed for pre pay mobile stuff after using that free £10 voucher CRC sent out which I forgot to use...   but they wouldnt have sent me the order anyway as they are so useless
Ive had that 2 weeks ago 2 transactions £15 each topping up phone.

I called the bank, cancelled the card & they said O2topup is a frequent fraud transaction.
Really hoping I dont get done as I ordered with CRC on monday night after I was emailed a gift voucher for £10. Nothing so far so fingers crossed! This is not good news for CRC!!
IIRC O2 is such a popular one as they have very lax internet security when topping up online.  Credit card numbers are generated by an algorithym so it doesnt take long for someone to knock one up that creates a number and also verifies it, Then all you need is an expiry date which seeing as a card is only normally active for around 5 years you've got what 60 possible combinations ?  Normally the 02 topup is a fraudster checking that he's got your number and expiry date correct before he starts buying TV's, Digital cameras and Thai brides that "WOVE YOU WONG TIME !" :o