This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTD - 70-90ish mm high-rise stem
Right, my back / core muscles are useless and even with an inline seatpost I'm having back issues after more than an hour or so riding. I've looked at changing stem to make the front end a bit closer / higher.

Currently running a 70mm 5deg rise, I've looked at Hope 70mm 25deg rise or Ritchey 80mm 30deg rise but don't want to throw money at it without being sure it will help. Does anybody have a spare old high rise stem knocking about that I could buy for cheap?

Yours hopefully,

Heading South
Bump for those that were away for the weekend or had better things to do than be on here  Big Grin

I'd prefer to avoid the likes of CRC for a while, so would be handy if anybody has one
I have a 90mm Thomson 10 deg rise.
its a Thomson Elite X4 1 1/8" steerer 31.8 clamp.

They are £74 on CRC

You can have it for £35. Not exactly cheap I know but it is the best, has plenty of rise and should last you forever! Then there is the fact its uber pimp! ;D

Assuming your head angle is 68 deg (guessing) a 90mm x10 will be 16mm higher and 14mm longer reach than your current setup.

A hope 70x25 will be 20mm higher but 14mm shorter, maybe a bit cramped for an xc bike?
you might be better off with higher rise bars depending on what you are currently using.
I have a Thomson 4x (but 50mm) and its great. Lol moment weekend before last though, 5 of us waiting to do a run, I say to Leigh (with a Renthal), look what stem us other 4 have, so common (4x if thats not obvious) Tongue    (not a fan of their seatposts though, inline but fine but the layback is a kinked post, wtf use is taht as you can only lower it half the way!!?)
i got the 50mm on my trail bike, nice stems.
Already got 30mm rise on there, so 40mm or 1.5inch wouldn't be much extra, and 2inch rise bars just look a bit odd to me. 67.5 deg head angle, so close enough with 68. The ritcheys give more sensible geometry but the hope looks better.

Might be interested in the Thompson but I was aftera bit more rise so will have a think cheers