This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axle query / Specialized hub query
So over the weekend I took my rear wheel apart to clean it out. The cones are pretty badly worn and need replacing, as do the bearings. The bike shop where I bought the bike say bring it in so that they can have a look before ordering the bits, they also reckon they should have them in stock. But as I can't do this till at least Friday and was hoping to rebuild the wheel on Friday I'm hoping someone on here can help.

Bike is a Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert (2010) and the only information about the hubs I could find was "forged alloy disc hub" leading me to believe that the hubs are fairly generic standard sized hubs (assuming there is such a thing). Now my query is, what should I be ordering? Is this an easy bit of kit to "upgrade" as I don't want to have to replace parts again in 6 months time.

I also couldn't provide any measurements at the moment being at work until late tonight.

Any and all advice welcome.
[quote author=]So over the weekend I took my rear wheel apart to clean it out. The cones are pretty badly worn and need replacing, as do the bearings. The bike shop where I bought the bike say bring it in so that they can have a look before ordering the bits, they also reckon they should have them in stock. But as I can't do this till at least Friday and was hoping to rebuild the wheel on Friday I'm hoping someone on here can help.

Bike is a Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert (2010) and the only information about the hubs I could find was "forged alloy disc hub" leading me to believe that the hubs are fairly generic standard sized hubs (assuming there is such a thing). Now my query is, what should I be ordering? Is this an easy bit of kit to "upgrade" as I don't want to have to replace parts again in 6 months time.

I also couldn't provide any measurements at the moment being at work until late tonight.

Any and all advice welcome.[/quote]

Potentially if the cones are worn badly enough to need replacing so will the hubs themselves. You may be lucky but its would be a stroke of luck if the outside of the bearings are worn & pitied & the insides aren't. If both hubs need replacing you may be better off investing in a new wheels set....something with sealed bearings.  
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:Potentially if the cones are worn badly enough to need replacing so will the hubs themselves. You may be lucky but its would be a stroke of luck if the outside of the bearings are worn & pitied & the insides aren't. If both hubs need replacing you may be better off investing in a new wheels set....something with sealed bearings.  

Yeah, well aware of this. From just looking at them over the weekend the hubs looked ok. I say this lightly though as I didn't really have time to do a thorough check. Hope hub? Wink
you forgot to mention the fun we had trying to remove the cassette  :Smile
"Wideload" Wrote:you forgot to mention the fun we had trying to remove the cassette  :Smile

hehehe, that's the tightest 40 Nm of torque I've ever seen! x10 maybe. I thought the chain whip would break before that thing came loose!
[quote author=]

hehehe, that's the tightest 40 Nm of torque I've ever seen! x10 maybe. I thought the chain whip would break before that thing came loose![/quote]

either that or my fingers  :o
[quote author=]

Yeah, well aware of this. From just looking at them over the weekend the hubs looked ok. I say this lightly though as I didn't really have time to do a thorough check. Hope hub? Wink[/quote]

I would, but also by the time you've spent £175 on 2 hubs then someone to take apart & rebuild them add on the cost of spokes it may be worth considering getting a whole new Hope wheelset... I'm listening  Wink
A new five will come with a set of nice shiny hope wheels.
[quote="]A new five will come with a set of nice shiny hope wheels.[/quote"]

This is true! However I still want the HT to be ridable Wink
You wouldnt need it, and I bet it wouldnt get used again anyway.