This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career brainstorm
Somehow i know this is going to decend into a farce but i'll give it a go...

I want to think of a new career.  At the moment i'll consider anything.  There is a chance i will have a decent redundancy payout to keep me in education if it is necessary to retrain for a few years.  All serious suggestions will be considered even if it means studying another degree!

I am currently a scientist and i have a degree in Chemistry.  I enjoy the work but after 8 years i feel i am ready for a change.  I like being outdoors and doing exercise.  I love watching sport but that's not really a career.  I like making things and solving technical challenges.  I like (most) people and like helping people.  I don't like too muh repetition

Suggest me a career!  What do you guys do?  Do you enjoy it?  Would you avoid it?  I've got a few ideas but i don't want to influence anyone.  Money is not the primary driver, although decent pay wouldn't be a bad thing.  Or does anyone know any good career advice resources?

Ideally i'd be a pro rider, however i think i left it a bit late for that one  Big Grin
Park ranger/land management?
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Try not to get stuck behind an office desk is my advice. It's so very boring, even when it's interesting.
Sorry to veer off-topic so quickly, but that sort of chemist are you? would you be interested in going back into science?
No chance of tupeing in your area or definitely decided on a new start?

I hear there are some well funded CASE studentships around if you fancy calling yourself Dr?

If I was looking to start again I'd go for something that lets you stay hands on for as long as possible especially if there's always a chance of learning to do new stuff.
I'm an analytical chemist working in a synthetic chemistry team so either option would be a possibility to persue.  I'm not totally adverse to continuing in Science but would like a change from my current job.

Heading south - its likely i'll get TUPEd but have a chance of getting a redundancy which would fund the career move / retraining
"pittgoat" Wrote:I'm an analytical chemist working in a synthetic chemistry team so either option would be a possibility to persue.  I'm not totally adverse to continuing in Science but would like a change from my current job.

Heading south - its likely i'll get TUPEd but have a chance of getting a redundancy which would fund the career move / retraining

I'll pm you (if the internet connection holds up...)
Well as a complete change and in an outdoors direction, Go Ape were one of the top 100 small companies to work for according to the times a week or 2 ago. Tend to be based near good biking - they're recruiting at coed y brennin at the mo I think
Strangely enough Mrslagging & I were talking Pfizers this very morning. Recently she's spent a week up in Peterborough & the hot career news up there is the great investment plan of Pfizers building a totally new facility near Cambridge
Defect to Lilly, BM, ICI etc  - not really a career change but a change of scenery, more like a busman's holiday!

or become a school 'lab technician' you know the kind of weird dude you always saw at school who trudged around the corridors in a lab coat - think this would suit you sir!

or as treacle pointed out land management/environmental management.