This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First of many stupid Desire questions
I've come of age & now got a smartphone.....The Desire HD on the recommendations of others, so here starts my simple questions.

When I finish browsing the internet, how do I terminate that app, or does it do it automatically. Or do I indeed have too, obviously my concern is that I'm using data allowance unnecessarily
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:I've come of age & now got a smartphone.....The Desire HD on the recommendations of others, so here starts my simple questions.

When I finish browsing the internet, how do I terminate that app, or does it do it automatically. Or do I indeed have too, obviously my concern is that I'm using data allowance unnecessarily

How much data allowance have you got? If it's 1gb then don't worry about it as you'll never exceed it unless your downloading loads of movies etc every day.
"Treehugger" Wrote:How much data allowance have you got? If it's 1gb then don't worry about it as you'll never exceed it unless your downloading loads of movies etc every day.

Thanks Andy.. I've got 500mb but since found out that as long as I'm not browsing & its not refreshing I'm not using any allowance anyway. Bearing in mind I sit next to a computer 99% of my working day I don't need to use the phine to browse anyway.

Stayed posted for next stupid question  Big Grin Big Grin
Make sure one of the first things you download from the market is "3g watchdog" it sits in the background and monitors your 3g useage. It'll tell you if you are using to much and tell you what is using it.
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:I've come of age & now got a smartphone.....The Desire HD on the recommendations of others, so here starts my simple questions.

It doesn't close. Download and install Dolphin Browser HD. It has an exit feature built in which will ensure the app actually exits. The standard browser has not got this feature. Also, dolphin is much better.

You will also want a task manager app that can kill processes. This is the one weakness in Android IMO. Most apps don't have exit functions leaving them to run in the background which consumes battery and memory.
I had a task manager app and used to close all the apps to try and save battery, i now dont have the task manager app and my phone last just as long, there more of a pain than its worth in my opinion.
"Buzz" Wrote:I had a task manager app and used to close all the apps to try and save battery, i now dont have the task manager app and my phone last just as long, there more of a pain than its worth in my opinion.

Without it my phone is dead before I get home. That said, from android 2.2 and up there are new controls in place to stop apps from killing apps so not sure how well these task managers work now.
Task Manager pretty redundant on froyo up (2.2) turn the 3g off and it lasts ages.
I use an app called watchdog lite that alerts you to apps that "run away". Just sits in the back ground, only ever had 2 alerts since owning the phone (10 weeks). Gives you the option to shut down when they do run away.
[quote="]Without it my phone is dead before I get home. That said, from android 2.2 and up there are new controls in place to stop apps from killing apps so not sure how well these task managers work now.[/quote"]
+1 Advanced Task Killer (from android market) is a great little FREE app. I set it to kill every 30 minutes automatically, as you'll always find tonnes of apps running in background, mostly stuff you've not even opened!!

Also have it on main desktop & click it once I've finished browsing/emailing/playing tunes/anything, just open, click "Kill" button at top and it closes itself & all other dross.

ps: I removed ATK after the Froyo update (non HD desire), battery died hours sooner, so put it back on again.

=== edit ===
Thanks for the heads up on Watchdog Lite sounds interesting, might give that a try!