This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cracked Commencal Frame, Still usable ?
Hiya Guys

As some of you may know i managed to crack the commie frame a month or 2 ago across the seattube, Well away from welds and the crack only goes around half of the tube, Most likely caused by me being a complete tool and running to short seatposts  :B

Heres a pic :

resim

With a longer seatpost and if i had it rewelded and then smoothed out (Or some sort of epoxy glue?) Would it still be rideable ?

Cheers guys
if you use it as a play bike and dont sit on it it will probably be ok.
The weld would likely tear in the same place. Ideally you'd line the inside and then go for a thinner seat tube as well as the weld but I don't know what size it is now. Perhaps fire off an email to the manufacturer and ask them what they'd recommend.
depends on what you intend on using it for? commuting id say it was fine.
Current seatpost size is 31.4

Ideally i would like it built back up to take away to trail centres etc whilst dropping the 456's forks down to 120mm internally and keeping that for XC.  If thats not possible then ill start looking second hand again !
Weld it, run a longer than normal seat post and itll be fine.
of course if you do have it fixed being a commencal it will obviously just crack somewhere else. There isnt a better excuse for a new bike than a cracked frame, dont waste it!
This crack is in the same place as my Cube H/tail last June.Had it replaced under warranty.I don't think that anyone would want to put there name to repairing this.Over the years I've welded up cracked machinery but its very much pure luck whether it works or not.This crack is probably longer than you can see.What we used to do was try to find the ends of the crack then drill a hole to act as a crack arrestor,then vee the crack with an angle grinder or chisel.Then weld it ,sometimes reinforcing with other plates,brackets etc.Worked most times but sometimes crack would reappear on new weld or go off in another direction.This was on steel not difficult to weld ali.Is there no frame guarantee?
[quote="]of course if you do have it fixed being a commencal it will obviously just crack somewhere else. There isnt a better excuse for a new bike than a cracked frame, dont waste it![/quote"]

Haha the £400-£800 spent on a new frame would see the commencal almost finished !

Cheers Buzz, Would a weld protrude into the internal side of the seattube ? Or just on the outside ?  Any recomendations for a decent welder that doesnt charge a leg and arm ?
[quote="]This crack is in the same place as my Cube H/tail last June.Had it replaced under warranty.I don't think that anyone would want to put there name to repairing this.Over the years I've welded up cracked machinery but its very much pure luck whether it works or not.This crack is probably longer than you can see.What we used to do was try to find the ends of the crack then drill a hole to act as a crack arrestor,then vee the crack with an angle grinder or chisel.Then weld it ,sometimes reinforcing with other plates,brackets etc.Worked most times but sometimes crack would reappear on new weld or go off in another direction.This was on steel not difficult to weld ali.Is there no frame guarantee? [/quote"]

Frame is a 05 Meta so no warrenty on it unfortunatly ! Bought second hand for £200 and had a good year out of it, If the general idea is to bin it its not to hard to cut my losses thankfully !