This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finger Judder/pump
I seem to get terrible pain in my fingers on long bumpy decents. Hurtling around Afan yesterday they were getting so painful at the end of goodwood and zigzags that could barely hold onto the bars/operate the brakes. Ive tried holding the bars looser but didn't really help, so I can only assume I've weak fingers.

What exercises can I do to atop hand/finger pump being so noticeable? Or is it a case of them toughening up by just riding lots more bumpy stuff? 4 weeks until the Aketchy trip so I'd like them tougher for then.
Try moving your levers reach adjust towards the bars, Had the same on my first afan trip !
Levers in a bit, and possibly rotate downwards a bit more?

You'll be standing all the way down those decents, so angle of grip changes a bit.

Youve probably not noticed locally, but long decents bring these things out.

Had exactly the same issues also, some fettling sorted it.
This is definitely a problem caused by the vibration, not the lever positions, even when just holding the bars (brakings for girls) still get it.  
I suggest walking down every decent then............  Tongue

Apart from arms/hands themselves, what about fork pressures? - could slacken them a tad to help a bit I guess.
Thicker or Thinner grips is the problem, i used to get finger cramp from using grips to thin. Finger cramping and arm pump are two different things.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:I suggest walking down every decent then............  Tongue

Apart from arms/hands themselves, what about fork pressures? - could slacken them a tad to help a bit I guess.

Well downhills are the necessary evil between gnarly ups. Lol

I think it's that the micro-vibrations are so frequent and vigorous but not enough for the fork to pick up. Perhaps should get the dumbbells out for my fingers.
I got this really bad in Scotland a couple of years ago and found switching to thicker grips helps. I've been running extra thick Straitline's ever since with no problems.

Doh Russ beat me to it!
"Buzz" Wrote:Thicker or Thinner grips is the problem, i used to get finger cramp from using grips to thin. Finger cramping and arm pump are two different things.

It's definitely more finger cramp. Arms seemed fine. My grips are pretty thin. Will try something thicker and see how thy goes.
ODI Rogues is what i use.