This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing new bike help
So im thinking id like to try a uber light HT & FS with XC racing in mind - something like a scott scale or spark or suchlike.

I may not bother getting one as I have decent bike as it is but would like to try them out.

Problem is.............where can you test them?????????

Its not so much the geometry I need to test as can work that out - I just want to see if a 20lbs bike is much faster or if its just too twitchy.
Not sure, some Scott dealer must have demos, Richs has the full carbon seat tower so you probably wouldnt fit on it.

I am also intruiged to the difference. The only vauge personal experience I have is the last time I took my ~24lb HT Breezer off road it went up steep hills SO much quicker than my ~30lb Zesty FS it was ridiculous.

Likewise around a nearby pump track, a Ragley Ti I went on with wider slower rolling tyres was massively faster than my ~5lb heavier HT with quicker rolling tyres and mine were pumped up higher as well!

My best Gorrick result was on my first FS, 100mm rear and by then Talas 90/110/130 front forks, not that light but less travel so pedalled better. I would like to sort out something similar again but I dont want it to have a silly steep head angle, I need to be able to ride it around Friston etc and not just for racing else could never justify it. The problem is finding something light thats cheap and that doesnt work unless I can build something second hand as I have most of the bits just need frame forks and rear wheel.
Both my HT & FS are ~25lbs, im convinced the FS is quicker.

Just looking round at events like gorrick though & most of the sport/expert & even the fast open riders are on HT's. - so got me thinking, may speak to a few of them at the next event.  
"dgw15" Wrote:Both my HT & FS are ~25lbs, im convinced the FS is quicker.

Just looking round at events like gorrick though & most of the sport/expert & even the fast open riders are on HT's. - so got me thinking, may speak to a few of them at the next event.  

As if you need to go faster! We need to be attaching an anchor to you!  Tongue

Sounds daft but ring around a few shops and ask, Im sure some would be happy to get one or two bikes in if there is the prospect of a sale for a few grand. I found the Spark is pretty twitchy in the singletrack and Im probably slower on it than the Remedy but point it up hill or along a less twisty flat bit and its a rocket ship. The FS is nice to have as it just makes it possible to sit in the saddle and get those few extra pedal strokes in where it counts when all the HT bods are complaining about their backs (General Sparks...  Wink)
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"dgw15" Wrote:Both my HT & FS are ~25lbs, im convinced the FS is quicker.

They will be far lighter HT's than yours though and weight is very important (see my comment about pump track), obviously harder and far more expensive to get lighter FS. They sacrifice traction etc for the less weight as have the fitness to be out of the saddle moving the bike around. I sit down most of the time at these races as I dont have the fitness so I rely on the bike to deal wtih roots etc so if I did the same on a HT I would be pinged all over the place and therefore slower. I still get back ache on the FS sometimes, more so in the races because I cant stand up as so dead and theres only so much the rear end can do to iron out the trail
Here you are, sussex somewhere I presume, just reading the site, also do normal single demos, £10, far less than some places which charge £50!!!!!!!

May even go myself! http://www.questadventure.co.uk/index.asp?pageID=101   Spark and Scale 29er hmm
Presume its around Worthing somewhere for the demo, get up on the downs easy, could pick me up on route if you wanted and split the fuel  Wink
Hmm slight detour but maybe I should book a demo for the 10th April and next Gorrick race  Wink  and Brighton big dog! Might work out cheaper long run to "demo" bikes on race days than building/buying my own lol
Victory Cycles in Rainham are Scott dealer & have demo bikes.
Maybe a bit of a trip, but the possibility is there.
Most of them are nice blokes too Wink

Not sure my HT would be light enough for your requrements, but you'd be welcome to try it.
It certainly covers the twitchy comment, but it's good fun ;D
"Tinc" Wrote:Victory Cycles in Rainham are Scott dealer & have demo bikes.
Maybe a bit of a trip, but the possibility is there.
Most of them are nice blokes too Wink

Not sure my HT would be light enough for your requrements, but you'd be welcome to try it.
It certainly covers the twitchy comment, but it's good fun ;D

+1 i lead some of their rides

they've a 2011 Scott hardtail desinged with input from the racers with a special back end set up so co mpliant ride but great handling

theres a nightride (you're not keen  on those) on 30th 6.50pm-7pm from Bredhusrt bell - just off J4 M2 if you wanted to demo one or ring up and ask for Steve or Richard

- I think its the redesigned Scale - 899 looks OK or a Premium (£28 to join Medway Velo should get you a 10% discount if dont do a deal staright away)

they had a XX equipped one out on a ride at end of last year