This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuck chainring bolts
Morning All

I'm trying to remove the chainring bolts from my crank (XT M770) but am having trouble getting them buggers out.  About 6 months ago I stripped the crank and for cleaing and put it back together using Loctite 243 on the bolts but seem to have becomke stuck.

I've managed to get 3 of them out but the last one just wont play the game, I've tried soaking in GT85 and am using a Park chainring tool along with a T30 and no rather stumped  Undecided

I dont get why the Loctite appears to have dried up, does it "go off"?  Any ideas how I maight get this last one off?

Cheers All
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Heat Wink

iirc 243 gives up at 250 Deg C, so an application of heat as localised as you can manage will sort it.
In the ideal world you'll be wanting to apply heat to the "nut" half of the fastener to get that to expand.
Disassemble whilst hot, but mind your fingers :o

GT85 or any other oil won't touch 243 - it's oil resistant Sad

Ideas:
Soldering iron
Heat gun
Length of 15mm copper tube & a blow torch
Excellent stuff, cheers Tinc, I shall get busy with soldering iron.  Hopefully will have it sorted for tonight but if not its 2 x 9 for me instead  Wink
Swearing and a hammer solves most things for me
"Breezer" Wrote:Swearing and a hammer solves most things for me

After near miss fist groin interface earlier it was touch and go lol  Big Grin
Sensible hammering may help if not then some heat but take care not to warp the chainrings from too much heat!
"stayhigh65" Wrote:Excellent stuff, cheers Tinc, I shall get busy with soldering iron.  Hopefully will have it sorted for tonight but if not its 2 x 9 for me instead  Wink

Apparently the cool kids are 1x9  :Smile
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"MudMonkey" Wrote:Sensible hammering may help if not then some heat but take care not to warp the chainrings from too much heat!

That's where the hammer comes in ;D

StayHigh the other, easier option is more leverage.  Do you have a longish tube or a ring spanner you can put on the allen key?

If all else fails ride it tonight & pop to mine after - I'll have a 10lb sledge hammer quick look ;D
Freezing spray can also help if you have some of that....
Well I've tried heating it as much as I can with my soldering iron but not had anymore joy with it, by the time I've got the T30 & chainring tool on its probably cooled off again.  I shall stop for now as I've noticed that the bolts heads are starting to round   :o

"Tinc" Wrote:If all else fails ride it tonight & pop to mine after - I'll have a 10lb sledge hammer quick look ;D

If thats all good with you Tinc I'll head over after the ride, that'll be great  Smile