This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rides around Cambridge
I've got a few weekends around Cambridge. I know Thetford is nearish but was wondering if anyone knows of any other family friendly places to ride nearby. I'm looking for fireroad and gravel track stuff Ss I won't be alone. We'll be in West Wickham, SE of Cambridge
How did this go in the end Nick?

Cambridge is looking like one of 2 locations that I might be moving to later this year, the other is back in the North-West between Liverpool and Manchester. Cambridge strikes me as very flat and possibly lacking in decent riding  Undecided
I'm here this weekend and am planning to check out Thetford Forest. Will let you know how it is!
Damn. I thought this was a thread discussing the new duchess of cambridge....  :K)
We rode thetford Forest on Saturday.  Its an interesting place but wouldn't be worth the trip from here just to ride IMHO.  Green and blue trails are very much family trails.  The red is quite good fun but not mind blowing.  We didn't do the black as Tasha was quite tired.  To be honest it didn't look at all severe.

Lots of riders without helmets and lots of people on crappy hire bikes from the Centre Parks down the road

All in all i'd say it is very flat but they seem to be making the best of what they have to work with.  If i lived locally i'd definitely visit again

Over 20 miles ridden and less than 200 metres climbing according to the gps  Big Grin  I think the altimeter is a bit out on it though
"pittgoat" Wrote:We rode thetford Forest on Saturday.  Its an interesting place but wouldn't be worth the trip from here just to ride IMHO.  Green and blue trails are very much family trails.  The red is quite good fun but not mind blowing.  We didn't do the black as Tasha was quite tired.  To be honest it didn't look at all severe.

Lots of riders without helmets and lots of people on crappy hire bikes from the Centre Parks down the road

All in all i'd say it is very flat but they seem to be making the best of what they have to work with.  If i lived locally i'd definitely visit again

Over 20 miles ridden and less than 200 metres climbing according to the gps  Big Grin  I think the altimeter is a bit out on it though

my kind of place
Thetford revisited:

Rode the black route this afternoon.  Pretty disappointed but to be fair it was an hour on the bike so still worth doing.

It was horrendously wet - puddles every 5 metres but given the rainfall we've seen lately this isn't at all surprising so isn't a legitimate gripe.  The real shame is that even without the puddles there 95% of the singletrack is pretty much the same.  Nothing technical, very very cut up and bumpy but no real hills or challenges.  There are a few bombholes you can session that keep the attention for 5 mins but not much longer.

After about 8 miles you come to the technical part of the trails, which are good fun but a little short lived.  Much more undulating and a few more roots with a little bit of flow.  You could also session this bit if you wanted to as the start and end are next to a road.  This bit is called "The Beast", which is optimistic at best  Tongue

9.5 miles riding, a massive 60 metres of climbing!!  Big Grin

I'll ride here again when its a bit less wet and maybe the singletrack has some hidden fun factor with a bit more flow.

Parking is a little steep but livable (£4 for 2 hours but you pay more per hour up to a tenner).  Good facilities by the car park though with a cafe and bike shop
"pittgoat" Wrote:We rode thetford Forest on Saturday.  Its an interesting place but wouldn't be worth the trip from here just to ride IMHO.  Green and blue trails are very much family trails.  The red is quite good fun but not mind blowing.  We didn't do the black as Tasha was quite tired.  To be honest it didn't look at all severe.

Didn't see my Cove did you ??
Very little there that wasn't from Argos ;-)
At pace....
In a race...
In the dark...
In the dry....

Meet ALL these criteria & its a great place  ;D