This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car mechanic advice
Any mechanics advise me on my current situation. I'm in wales with a 270 mile journey to do to get me home tomorrow. The battery light on my van is now on, it goes off initially on start up, then a few seconds later comes on again. Alternator belt is ok. Im guessing the alternator has died or maybe the charge circuit. Its a diesel engine (combo van), in theory I should still be able to drive home, but in reality am I likely to make it, assuming I dont stall at any time?
The battery is fully charged at the moment.
Thanks in advance.

Rode the raven trail today, very good but still pretty muddy.
should make it as long as you don't use your lights. Also turn off any auxillary circuits fan, ac, radio etc. try not to stop or restart your engine either. if you can park on a hill tonight and bump start in the morning without heater plugs if you can. try and save all power for the ecu and sensors. open doors with key and drive rudely no indicators and no flashing people out.
Your own fault as diesel but anyway, could be as simply as the wire from the alternator to the dash and everything else is fine, see if you can find that wire and also check the thick wire on the alternator which goes to the battery and check both those terminals for good measure

270 miles on one battery wont work if not charging. I did a sprint once many years ago that I had entered knowing my alternator was shot, it was about 150 miles each way plus say 5 at the event and I was on my 4th battery about 30 miles from home...
Do you have recovery, if you do it will save you fuel costs and you won't have to drive ?
"Si.Ozzy" Wrote:Do you have recovery, if you do it will save you fuel costs and you won't have to drive ?

Yea I do have recovery but it will take forever to get home! Going to give it a try and see what happens.
[quote author=]

Yea I do have recovery but it will take forever to get home! Going to give it a try and see what happens.[/quote]

I did my whole round with a completely dead battery once, just kept it running all day and locked the doors with the spare key. That had a mechanical fuel pump though, not sure if it will work with a common rail injection system, but from memory I think yours is mechanical so you should be fine, just turn everything off as the others have said.
[quote author=]

Yea I do have recovery but it will take forever to get home! Going to give it a try and see what happens.[/quote]

Good luck, i would wait until morning though, if you can.
I had an old VW polo - had no alternator as it was burned out - used to get about 250 - 300 miles from a battery assuming no lights or window wipers req'd.

I then eventually got an alternator from a scrap yard - the head gasket leaked so bad I wrapped as much of the alternator as possible in tin foil to stop the oil buggering it (under the bonnet was a disaster area) - got from inverness to london & back in the heat of summer - saw loads of cars at the roadside broken down - this thing just kept going, amazing piece of crap, fully shod with cheapest remould tyres also - thats livin that is.
Managed 230 miles before my van died which meant we made it to north kent. Swapped the battery out then finished the journey. So its shopping tomorrow for a new alternator.
[quote="]Managed 230 miles before my van died which meant we made it to north kent. Swapped the battery out then finished the journey. So its shopping tomorrow for a new alternator.[/quote"]

Is it defo the alternator? Could just be wiring.