This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope freehub removal
In the videos it looks so easy to snap the freehub off a pro 2 hub but does anyone else find it virtually impossible ?, my lock ring tool has a spindle on so I can't use the 2p method, any tips
"Si.Ozzy" Wrote:In the videos it looks so easy to snap the freehub off a pro 2 hub but does anyone else find it virtually impossible ?, my lock ring tool has a spindle on so I can't use the 2p method, any tips

Both of mine are an utter cock to remove, only a couple of times have i been able to remove it without universal tool 101 >Sad  Are you changing the bearings? if so support the hub on top of a large socket, get another socket the same diameter as the axle and put on a long extension, then bash the axle through with a rubber mallet. I put loads of copper slip on the axle last time so hopefully it'll come off a bit easier next time.

I have heard mentions of the 2p meathod, how dose that work?
"Treehugger" Wrote:I have heard mentions of the 2p meathod, how dose that work?

you have to flip the 2p , if it s tails you hit it hard and if heads you hit it really hard while calling it all the expletive names you can muster  Big Grin
"Wideload" Wrote:you have to flip the 2p , if it s tails you hit it hard and if heads you hit it really hard while calling it all the expletive names you can muster  Big Grin
Lol, i think people living 2 roads away could here me shouting said expletives last time... i was not amused!!
"Wideload" Wrote:you have to flip the 2p , if it s tails you hit it hard and if heads you hit it really hard while calling it all the expletive names you can muster  Big Grin

lol

Changing the pawl springs, i serviced it a while ago when i eventually previously got it off, when i cleaned the hub one of the springs was in a bad way so i have 4 new ones to put in.

The 2p trick works by placing a 2p under the lock ring, screw it down and then unscrew, place another under it, screw it down a bit more and this forces the freehub off.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-09KxrRIbY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-09KxrRIbY</a><!-- m -->

Need a lockring removal tool without a spindle so i can try this method
&quot;Si.Ozzy&quot; Wrote:In the videos it looks so easy to snap the freehub off a pro 2 hub but does anyone else find it virtually impossible ?, my lock ring tool has a spindle on so I can't use the 2p method, any tips

I take you have removed the spacer / ends. If No they are a real bugger. If Yes they should very very easily snap off in your hand just like in the video  Wink
Cheers. Mine has a spindle too, will have to find a cheap POS one just for removing jammed freehubs.
&quot;Laggingbehind&quot; Wrote:I take you have removed the spacer / ends. If No they are a real bugger. If Yes they should very very easily snap off in your hand just like in the video  Wink

Well this time i didnt actually, last time i did and it was still a shi£e so didnt think that really did much difference, perhaps ill remember that for next time. I gave up quite quickly, wheel is going in for a true to cycles uk tommorrow so ill ask them to take it off for me when they finish  Wink
My 4 month old one came off with the XT cassette when I tried to pull that off. Never had that before. Its just popping the seal bit I think, might be able to lever it out but probably wreck it