This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Afan maintainance
So ive had a good clean of the bike today and noticed that i need to order a couple of items before the Afan trip.

1. Inner cable for rear mech. Would you order inner and outer at the same time or just an inner?  Which cable would i need as i have SLX rear mech and new Deore shifters?  

2. Chain, think after 8 months it could do with being changed?  Running Shimano running gear, can you recommend a decent (strong) chain with power link please.  9 speed.  Can i buy and 9 speed chain or does it have to be shimano?

3. Anybody willing to show me how to index gears in Afan in return for x2 pints of your favourite tipple?  First come basis. Would like to adjust fron mech so that the front mech shifter can only shift twice (now running double and bash with triple shifter)  Think this is possible?

4. I really need some basic knowledge of bike maintainance. And hopefully in Afan the tech guys can help simpletons like me.

Thank you in advance for your advice    Smile
I'll sort your gears out sooner if you want as only just up the road Wink You can pick up that DVD I forgot to bring last week too :B

1: Get a new inner and outer. Jagwire are pretty good, had several lots of them and last longer than the cheaper stuff. If you can bring yourself to send 30 quid on cables then Gore Ride On are supposed to be the best. XTR are good also.

2: Get a Park Tools chain wear thingy and check how worn it is first or you could be throwing money away changing it when you don't need to. I keep meaning to get one, and usually change chain and cassette when the chain starts to slip, which is obviously too late. you should get at least 2 chains per cassette if you change the chain before it is stretched a certain amount.
"Treehugger" Wrote:I'll sort your gears out sooner if you want as only just up the road Wink You can pick up that DVD I forgot to bring last week too :B

1: Get a new inner and outer. Jagwire are pretty good, had several lots of them and last longer than the cheaper stuff. If you can bring yourself to send 30 quid on cables then Gore Ride On are supposed to be the best. XTR are good also.

Cheers matey   Wink
everything you need to know is here Wink
"Adie.J" Wrote:Cheers matey   Wink

No worries, just let me know when, any weekday after 5:30 is good for me.

I've edited my first post.
"Adie.J" Wrote:So ive had a good clean of the bike today and noticed that i need to order a couple of items before the Afan trip.

1. Inner cable for rear mech. Would you order inner and outer at the same time or just an inner?  Which cable would i need as i have SLX rear mech and new Deore shifters?  

2. Chain, think after 8 months it could do with being changed?  Running Shimano running gear, can you recommend a decent (strong) chain with power link please.  9 speed.  Can i buy and 9 speed chain or does it have to be shimano?

3. Anybody willing to show me how to index gears in Afan in return for x2 pints of your favourite tipple?  First come basis. Would like to adjust fron mech so that the front mech shifter can only shift twice (now running double and bash with triple shifter)  Think this is possible?

4. I really need some basic knowledge of bike maintainance. And hopefully in Afan the tech guys can help simpletons like me.

Thank you in advance for your advice    Smile

1..Gear cables... get the clarks ones from Halford... Only £8 and just as good as Jagwires & probably better than XT cables
2..DONT buy a shimano chain, get a SRAM... they are massively stronger than shimanos & come with Power link as standard
4..After 8 months of use you can almost definately say the chain will be stretched, question is whether you can get away with just a chain change or need to do the cassette & possibly rings as well. Get this sorted before Wales otherwise it'll be an expensive trip to the trail centre shop
3..To restrict the front shifter you need to adjust it on the stop screws. May mean you need to source a longer screw but it can be done I believe
get Andy to look at asap - worn chain might also mean worn main front ring - if just need a XT gear cable I've a few so don't wait for that. Does you bike have continuous outer cables or does the gear cable run exposed in places?

you'll also need a little ride for stuff to settle down after new chain as new chain can feel a bit knotchy at first and don't want to start big wales climbs like that, local ride 1st should smooth things down

Adie are you rdiing CwnCarn on the Friday?

[edit] have adjusted XT triples to double and bashes on two bikes so it should be relatively easy on SLX as well [/edit]
Yes mate im riding Cwm Carn.

Have ordered a new SLX front 22t, Chain wear device, sram chain and looking for a inner cable(continuous outer)

Think the cassette is ok, never had issues however some teeth on the 22 front are worn so will change now before the Afan uphill climbs.
Defo get the chainset sorted before Wales. I've just done mine and glad I did. New chain caused chain slip and before that I had chain suck. Fixed with new chain rings, and chain. Old cassette looks ok, but it's not spidered and I didn't want the new hub to get damaged as its quite soft. In total I spent about £100 shopping online. In Wales you could add at least £50.
chain wear guides are pretty pointless, if you go by their indication you will be replacing your chain every 6-8 weeks or so, at least that was the case with me. Much cheaper just to wait as andy does and change the lot when it starts to slip. Assuming everything is ok at the moment I would leave it, if you can be arsed buy a replacement drivetrain to take with you 'just in case', but it is no less likely to stop working at wales than it is at surrey or bluebell hill etc.

3. yes you can adjust the front mech so it only clicks twice even though its a triple shifter.