This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed: second-hand family car
I'm hoping the Sketchy collective wisdom can help me decide on a suitable car for my family.  We've currently got a Fiesta (Blacker's actually) and will find it inadequate once baby #2 arrives in a few weeks.  I'm looking for suggestions on makes/models.

-budget £4k or so
-low mileage, maybe 50-60k
-can haul 2 adults, 2 kids in car seats, pushchair, shopping and the occasional extra passenger or two.

We've only test driven 2 so far, a Vauxhall Zafira, and a Volvo V70 estate with a pair of rear-facing seats in the boot.  I've also been considering a number of estates, such as Mondeos, Lagunas, etc.  A 5 seater would be sufficient for 98% of the time, but I think I'd prefer to have the option of extra seating for when family and friends come to visit from America.

To make the post biking related, integrated roof rails would be a plus, as I have some roof bike carriers that I schlepped over from America.  Anyone know how well bikes will fit in the back of a Zafira?
Galaxy.
We went from a 207 to a Zafira last year and its a great car that we can get loads of stuff into.  The back seats roll all the way forward leaving a nice big boot space you can get easily get bikes into, you have two extra mini seats that fold up from the back for taxi/bus service its nice a comfortable althought the dash is a bit plasticy its a all good.  We have the 1.6 petrol Life version and no complaints other then the tax which is just over a ton for  months and the stupid price of petrol.

Depending on where you are your welcome to come over and have a look at ours if thats of any use to you?

My work had an old shape Galaxy and replaced it with a new one a few months back.  Obviously the new one is a lot plusher with mkore belss and whistles but the older shape was bigger and had more space inside.
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Old shape Galaxy FTW
Sharan
Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra is a great motor if you can find one... for the budget you could get a perfect Pug 806 or Citroen Synergie.