This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garmin help with navigation
I've been trying to get my 705 working as I want but have had little success. It has been great for logging rides but when I use it to navigate I'm struggling.

Last night I plotted a track using mapsource that I wanted to follow home from work today. When I went to "where to" and loaded it from "saved rides" it navigate its own way home. The track was saved as a gpx.

What is the difference between a track and a route? What file.format do I need to save in for it to work?  Help!

[Edit - more info on tracks and routes can be found here]
Is this any help Nick? http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-edge-30...-tutorial/

I'm planning my trip to work also for Monday. Does' the Garmin still record your ride data while you follow a route?
"UphillDownDale" Wrote:Is this any help Nick? http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-edge-30...-tutorial/

I'm planning my trip to work also for Monday. Does' the Garmin still record your ride data while you follow a route?

Thanks will have a look. Yes the 705 still records if you are navigating
If it's the same as the 305 then a track is just a black line on the screen to follow.
A course is a series of waypoints strung together by headings.
If you plot courses well & use a waypoint at each change of direction the thing will almost work like a TomTom ;D

Each waypoint should be identified with a unique number & the direction you should take.
For instance if the first change of direction is a left turn at a T junction, you'd call it LT01.
Do the whole route like this, then load as a course.
The garmin will display the compass screen with the heading & distance to the next waypoint.
Approximately 100m prior to the waypoint the thing will beep & display the waypoint name, you have a quick glance & now you know to turn left ;D
That's some genius thinking there Tinc, sounds like a bit of time setting up but totally worth it on the trail Smile
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:That's some genius thinking there Tinc, sounds like a bit of time setting up but totally worth it on the trail Smile

Neither genius, nor my idea tbh, but does work very well.
The downside is that the 305's will only take about 100 waypoints, but that should be fine for most off road excursions.
I put this all to the test in rural France in 2009. Trusted the unit & it got 14 of us through 8hrs of spectacular LeNowhere villages & across the Somme without a single wrong turn ;D

I'd say it only took me about an hour to waypoint the L2P route. Spent laods more time than that on it, but I did full colour A3 maps for each day too - for those that didn't have or trust GPS

I intend to sort a set of BBH route this way as it would mean anyone with a Garmin, or similar, could follow one of the typical routes without the usual suspects Wink
"Tinc" Wrote:I intend to sort a set of BBH route this way as it would mean anyone with a Garmin, or similar, could follow one of the typical routes without the usual suspects Wink
Presumably you guys could drag them out of the hedge/tree/ditch of peril on your next ride? Big Grin
I did a bit more research and that's the conclusion I came to Tinc so thanks for confirming.  Good to hear it works also!

Any track has a limit of 100 waypoints, but that should cover a fair distance.  Once you reach your 100 waypoints all you need to do is start a new track.  Some software (bikeroutetoaster included) will set a warning bleep by using another trackpoint x metres from the turn so in effect you are limited to 50 per track.  Some packages do it a different way though

I've moved this thread into the GPS section and renamed / tidied for clarity
I have always used Map my ride to plot routes on but it seems to have been updates and I have found no way of now down loading a tcx file any more so I can get into the garmin training centre web site to get it inot my edge305 . Some else has found the same does any one know a way round this or is there another mapping site as I am away in the isle of wright soon and wanted to plan some routes to do. Keith.
slightly OT but is there a similar route tracker thingy for HTC phones? I currently use mytracks which will log my route, speed, various stuff, but I'd like it to guide me along that route when I next ride it. Does anyone know of anything aside from the 'waymarks' technique?
Keep it foolish...