This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GoPro Hero or ATC3000 Headcam
Anyone seen much footage from these cams...

I'm about 90% decided on the new GoPro Hero Wide but would like to be sure the playback quality is good..

Cheers
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Need a cup of tea so can't offer any advice other than I saw someone riding with a ATC recently and I nearly crashed laughing at how ridiculous it looked. I have a vholdr which I managed to pursuade work to buy for a project. Its much better than either of the above, but costs twice as much, is still cr@p when you have vibrations, useless in anything remotely dark and of most annoyance......my £170 digital camera that now probably costs <£100 which uses the same 640x480 xvid format etc is SO much better quality its not even funny. Plus as it has a built in image stabiliser its smooth unlike the vholdr. Even with really agressive post processing that I do on the raw files, its still not great
I got looking into these kind of things really heavily... but then couldnt be arsed as it got too confusing.

I think I eventually ended up looking at Bullet Cameras coupled with a solid-state DVR.

Depends on the quality you want, but dont forget, 90% of all online videos are squashed and compressed down ridiculously, and quality suffers.

I think I recall someone on here having a bullet cam connected to a mini DV cam - is that you Russ?  That seems to be a good combination, although I assume fairly bulky.

I'd love one, but would rather buy a new set of wheels.
It comes down to what you want to do with it. Like you say if you want it to chuck a few snapshots up on you tube then it really won't be too bad. If you want it for something serious then it won't really cut the mustard. We use the ATC ones kiting all the time and i have never had any problems with them, but kiting is a hell of a lot smoother than biking...

Just cause i am plugging it, here is a film i shot in Morocco in November, no biking but if you are bored enough to be on here...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vimeo.com/2750155">http://www.vimeo.com/2750155</a><!-- m -->

The ATC is way better than the Go Pro, with a bulky thing like that you may as well use your digi camera, will be far better than both. But the ATC does offer the streamlined shape, far less likely to hit a tree. One thing to remember with helmet cams, get it set up properly first. Otherwise you will come home to a lot of footage of the sky, or the ground...
Neither are to great, they are both MPEG recorders which record at a pretty low bitrate, only 640x480 (which is not pal, thats 720x576), they have shocking frame rates, so that combined with the low bit rate means any fast moving pictures will look very blocky. Not ideal for a fast moving sport like mtb.

Ive got a panasonic bullet cam that plugs into a mini dv camcorder, its not true dv as the camera is analogue but the quality is excellent when viewed on a tv. Just ask some of the guys on here that have watched mine on tv.
So... if i'm willing to spend up to £200 what should i do... arrhhh  its getting confusing
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;Buzz&quot; Wrote:Neither are to great, they are both MPEG recorders which record at a pretty low bitrate, only 640x480 (which is not pal, thats 720x576), they have shocking frame rates, so that combined with the low bit rate means any fast moving pictures will look very blocky. Not ideal for a fast moving sport like mtb.

Ive got a panasonic bullet cam that plugs into a mini dv camcorder, its not true dv as the camera is analogue but the quality is excellent when viewed on a tv. Just ask some of the guys on here that have watched mine on tv.

Yep - its pretty damn impressive!