This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other sports??
Shock horror - some of us may partake in other sports than mountain biking!!  So what else do people get up to?  My other sports are:

Football - played 2 hours tonight and am shattered.  Usually play between 2 and 4 times a week.  I'm rubbish.
Running - going to get into it more this year but can run 5k in about 21 mins and 10k in about 50 mins, almost certainly a fair bit less if i pace myself better than last time!  Have never taken it seriously but the football and biking mean i'm not too bad at it.
Gym - although my membership expires tomorrow.  Might get a guest pass and see how that goes but I only use it for the CV as i'm not interested in bulking up these days.  Might just run outside instead!
Commuting - when its a bit warmer!!  Depending on the route its about a 35 mile round trip so is a good distance to hammer out on the hardtail.  Mostly roads but i've found some doubletrack as a shortcut and also some drops and jumps to play on if i have time!
I also do a fair bit of core stability work and press ups using a stability ball which is a real drag but is physio's orders!!

But of course my favourite activity is biking  8)  I was thinking the other day what i would keep if i could only do one thing and it would definitely, definitely be the biking!
i used to play a bit of rugby, but alas i was out for a season with a fractured knee and then never got back into it Undecided, my fitness then went downhill by miles and now im left here today mountain biking Tongue
I have been known to do a 'bit' of kiting in my spare time...

I used to windsurf at a professional level, then blew out a knee and two years of partying and hardcore self abuse and i got into kitesurfing, that was back in 2000 and been doing it ever since. It is very good for overall body fitness and definition. Also water fitness, which doesn't translate well into land fitness. Oddly enough i could kitesurf all day long no worries, yet biking i have a maximum attention span of about 3 hours.

I love my biking though, can't get enough of it. But kiting will always be my number one sport, 8 years of hard labour getting good at it i can't throw that away!

Other than that i surf when i can, swim a fair bit and love snowboarding but sadly can't afford it this year...
Motorsport: Competed in sprints and hillclimbs for 6 years. Took a bit of a break last year doing the odd cameo in other peoples borrowed cars. Also do service/chase for a friend on Belgium historic rallies

Rode a motorcross bike from the age of 3 but gave it up when about 11. Really wish I hadnt as I would be great at mountain biking if I had kept to it. This is me age 3.5 ish

resim

Took up Badminton around the age of 10 or something with reasonable success. Just missed out on the Sussex county squad when ~14. Played local region league. Played for my Uni team around the south of England. After uni I left it for a couple of years then returned to a local club and worked my way up to Division 1 Mixed and Mens Doubles. Half way through that season I hit a tree in Friston snapping my right collar bone and that was the end of that. They refused to pin it despite the massive gap and overlap, I couldnt ride for 18 months, arm muscle died and still aches on long drives. Only played about 5 minutes since then when I briefly picked up a racket when I went to pick my mum up from one of her weekly practise sessions she used to do. Note the gap between the bone sigh  Sad

resim

Unicycle Hockey: Yes really.... 5 a side, tennis court, ice hockey sticks and goals, normal hockey ball. There were a number of teams in the SE, had tournaments in London etc. Potentially very lethal but fun none the less! Did half a charity cycle marathon on them. They tried to not give us the medals until we successfully argued that we only had half the number of wheels so did half the distance! We used to ride them round woods as well. If you think going down a muddy slope is bad enough on a bike, try it on a unicycle with the only wheel locked up!!! and yet I cannot wheelie a mtb WTF? Only photo I can find of me riding mine is this one where we comically put our helmets on at one sprint meeting when you are allowed to walk the track and rode off round it, no one knew who we were heh

resim
Ski-ing, the only other sport i'v ever been good at! Started off with 3 srait years in Austria with my school and got completely hooked, but unfortunately once out of school i didn't know anyone else that could ski, so didn't go back on the snow again till 2002 and have been every year since. We did 4 years in Val dis'are in the French alps, and the last 3 years in Banff in Alberta, Canada, Ski-ing in Sunshine Village and Lake Louise. Can do prety much anything on ski's apart from, yeah you guesed it....jumping. If our plan to move to the French Piranese ever comes to fruition i reccon i'm good enough to teach,but the way that house prices are falling lately i can't see that happening any time soon Sad  

These were all taken in Canada in 07
resim
resim
resim
resim
resim
resim
resim
resim
resim
resim
resim
resim
resim
resim

Not going this year as i'm saving for the new bike, but having second thoughts after looking at those again :Smile
Thanks for the pictures Andy... now i'm thinking i might try and get away boarding this year, should be some good deals...

Well as mentioned i love snowboarding which i only started doing about 7 years ago and have managed 5 trips.

I have just started to dabble at kite flying since getting my son a kite on holiday on the Gower and watching him get dragged down the beach... so went back to the shop and got a 4.1 Twister...  awesome fun.

My second favourite sport is hockey, i discovered it about 12 years ago and i have loved every minute of every game ever since, i play for Maidstone and whilst i'm not very good it has bought me good times a a bunch of great friends.

My true love though is mtbing and i only got into that about 10 yars ago by accident, putting a deposit down on a bike whilst so drunk i didn't remember doing it when i found the receipt next morning... went to the shop and hey presto...  many many thousands of pounds later...  every penny well spent...  

I also bodyboard with my son as he lives in Cornwall and i love getting out on a boat fishing....

Does chasing girls count??
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Great posts guys Smile

Ha ha yeah chasing girls definitely counts.  I get a lot of exercise as they run away very quickly so i have to chase twice as hard Wink

I didn't really think about fishing as a sport in this case which is funny as i've had the opposite argument soo many times its untrue!  I used to be super serious about my fishing before i went to uni.  I fished a lot of competitions and did pretty well, regularly winning senior matches when i was a junior and I qualified for a couple of national finals.  The last one was around the time i left uni and i rearranged my viva so i could fish the match.  It was worth £10,000 if i'd won so thought i'd make the effort!  Unfortunately i didn't win...
I like rugby, but cant play it anymore. If on the odd occasion I do play 5 minutes as a muck around... Well, people get hurt (no pain no game!) And scrums are just the best..

Not that it's a sport really but I like walking, when I can I get out for 16+ mile walks. Normally take my dog but if I do she dont come near me for at least 3 weeks afterwards Tongue

But biking... That's always been my passion ever since I was first thrown down a hill at the tender age of 11. My brother and sister both fell off and gave it up.. I went straight back up and done it again next moment I got - Which was about half hour after first doing it.

I like shooting (air rifles, clay pigeon - I have quite a talent there, abit like my dad..) and archery is also a good one for me...
resim
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
&quot;Papa Smurf&quot; Wrote:I like rugby, but cant play it anymore. If on the odd occasion I do play 5 minutes as a muck around... Well, people get hurt (no pain no game!) And scrums are just the best..

Not that it's a sport really but I like walking, when I can I get out for 16+ mile walks. Normally take my dog but if I do she dont come near me for at least 3 weeks afterwards Tongue

But biking... That's always been my passion ever since I was first thrown down a hill at the tender age of 11. My brother and sister both fell off and gave it up.. I went straight back up and done it again next moment I got - Which was about half hour after first doing it.

I like shooting (air rifles, clay pigeon - I have quite a talent there, abit like my dad..) and archery is also a good one for me...
resim

ha yeh everyone always gets hurt when i play, i sometimes wonder why a 6 ft 4 guy weighing god knows how much hurts people when he crashes into them Wink

im still trying to train the dog to run next to the bike when im riding  Big Grin he loves to chase back wheels, so im thinking if i ride fast enough he wont catch me but will still be following  Tongue would push me that bit extra aswell knowing that if i slow down a labradors going to have my back tyre for breakfast  Big Grin
resim
resim
resim

resim
resim
resim

Rou i used to windsurf as well but got frustrated that it was never windy enough, only really enjoyed going out on my 73ltr Fanatic rip and any sail under 5.2m. Had a 110ltr mistal with sails up to 7.5m but couldnt stand lugging them around or waiting for enough wind to get planeing,