This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offroad Lights
as the name states im going to be looking for some offrides lights (need new lights anyway for the commute to work so why not go the whole hog Wink ) and was wondering if you can pick up a decent pair for £50 - £75. by the looks of things on CRC this really isnt much to play around, but i still have a few questions

1) what performance is a £75 light going to give?
2) Any recomendations?
3) Is it worth building a custom set up?
Bit of a cop out here Steve, but search bikeradar for 'what light' threads when you have time.  These is a huge amount of info on there about this kind of thing.

For what its worth my light setup is some kind of home-made system that i bought second hand.  Its nice and bright but quite bulky (not that i'm really bothered by that).  Cost me £60 delivered and i think that is reasonable given the brightness.  I have no idea of the spec or components in it but i think its a halogen light.

For that kind of money it seems that Fenix or Tesco lights are a good bet.  I use a couple of Ultrafire lights on my helmet but i would go for the Tesco ones above those.
My twopenneth Steve...

Personally, I would go the Fenix route. 2x Fenix L2D Torches coupled with 2x TwoFish Lockblock mounts. (You may want to research some of their newer models?)

Id mount one on bars, and other on helmet.

They run on AA's so cheap to run and easy to swap batteries on long rides.

To be honest £75 for a "proper" off-road system I dont think will be amazing, but bang for buck, I think the Fenix would be a great combination.

You cannot ride offroad without a helmet light anyway - bars are not always pointing in the direction you want at night!

If your commuting, these are so small, you can whip them off in a second and put them in your pocket if need be.

I hope you have booked a week off work if you are going to trawl the BR forums - there is TONNES if discussion about what lights - and you will only end up more befuddled!!  Smile
"BMJBOY" Wrote:My twopenneth Steve...

Personally, I would go the Fenix route. 2x Fenix L2D Torches coupled with 2x TwoFish Lockblock mounts. (You may want to research some of their newer models?)

Id mount one on bars, and other on helmet.

They run on AA's so cheap to run and easy to swap batteries on long rides.

To be honest £75 for a "proper" off-road system I dont think will be amazing, but bang for buck, I think the Fenix would be a great combination.

You cannot ride offroad without a helmet light anyway - bars are not always pointing in the direction you want at night!

If your commuting, these are so small, you can whip them off in a second and put them in your pocket if need be.

I hope you have booked a week off work if you are going to trawl the BR forums - there is TONNES if discussion about what lights - and you will only end up more befuddled!!  Smile
ok cheers nick and BMJboy
ive got today of school anyway due to my throat amongst other things so i may have a trawl through

i did wonder about the cree lights/ any other torch but just couldnt think of a way to mount them but those blocks look like they will do the job Smile
The lockblocks are not cheap (for a bit of rubber with velcro straps), BUT they are very strong and versatile.

Remember, with most things, you do get what you pay for.

Ive tried 2 different Ultrafire torches with claims that they are the same or better than the Fenix - in no way are they the same. Fenix is a different league. I passed my ultrafire to a mate for a night ride, my fenix drowned him out.

Nick - I'd like to have a look at the Tescos torches, are they in stores or online only?

The Fenix range has all been updated from my last look, worth checking out.
Agreed about the Ultrafires - they do a job but aren't great.

I think Legless is the man to ask about Tesco torches!
Hi Steve,

Check out the review thread, there is a meaty section in there about the tesco's torches. They are very good bang for thier buck, but do lack somewhat when you ride with others. The fenix torches are defo brighter but then the Tesco's 3w torches are £8 each as opposed to £40 odd. I was running three tesco's torches and it worked fine for night biking. But i think Andy just runs two fenix torches and they are super bright. Plus the tesco's torches need a bit of "modding" to fit rechargables and to make one of them a flood light. Easily done, but you may decide to spend your cash on the fenix as they are brighter and you don't need to mess around with them. Also i have heard rumours the tesco's lights no longer use the Cree LED emitter, which was the whole reason everyone bought them as these emitters are excellent. People are now saying the torches aren't as bright. If you do get some get them home unscrew the front section and you should see the cree logo. Also check the led has a white surround, if it is yellow or doesn't say cree it won't be nearly as good as it should be. I bought 8 when i got mine (some for the GF as well) 5 had white led's all were cree but the yellow ones were noticeably dimmer so the missus got them Wink

One thing though, EVERYONE goes on about the two fish lock block mounts, these are ridiculously priced for what is essentially a bit of plastic and velcro. Just get these to mount torches to the bars:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29580">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29580</a><!-- m -->

Simply cable tie the torches to the mounts. With pliers and two cable ties you can get them SUPER tight and they torches won't budge. Plus now you can get them really tight on the bars by doing up the screw and also they are super easy to remove.

As i said check out the light thread. If you go the fenix route, by the time you have two torches, two mounts some batteries and rechargers you will probably be knocking on £100, you might really want to add £50 to your budget and get an airbike light, read the review it is bloody awesome and for £125 you can't go too far wrong...
I maybe right in thinking the L2D (Most peoples Fenix of choice) has come down a bit in price as there are newer ones out.

2 x Fenix L2D with lockblocks will be in or around £75 I reckon.

But as soon as you get near the £100 region, you should look into "official" bike lights - which is then a minefield of options!.

The more money you have to spend, the harder it gets to choose!

If you buy the Tescos and theyre not to your liking, then your simply throwing money away, try and buy the best for your budget as more often that not, you will wish you bought the better option all along.
&quot;Legless&quot; Wrote:Hi Steve,

Check out the review thread, there is a meaty section in there about the tesco's torches. They are very good bang for thier buck, but do lack somewhat when you ride with others. The fenix torches are defo brighter but then the Tesco's 3w torches are £8 each as opposed to £40 odd. I was running three tesco's torches and it worked fine for night biking. But i think Andy just runs two fenix torches and they are super bright. Plus the tesco's torches need a bit of "modding" to fit rechargables and to make one of them a flood light. Easily done, but you may decide to spend your cash on the fenix as they are brighter and you don't need to mess around with them. Also i have heard rumours the tesco's lights no longer use the Cree LED emitter, which was the whole reason everyone bought them as these emitters are excellent. People are now saying the torches aren't as bright. If you do get some get them home unscrew the front section and you should see the cree logo. Also check the led has a white surround, if it is yellow or doesn't say cree it won't be nearly as good as it should be. I bought 8 when i got mine (some for the GF as well) 5 had white led's all were cree but the yellow ones were noticeably dimmer so the missus got them Wink

One thing though, EVERYONE goes on about the two fish lock block mounts, these are ridiculously priced for what is essentially a bit of plastic and velcro. Just get these to mount torches to the bars:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29580">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29580</a><!-- m -->

Simply cable tie the torches to the mounts. With pliers and two cable ties you can get them SUPER tight and they torches won't budge. Plus now you can get them really tight on the bars by doing up the screw and also they are super easy to remove.

As i said check out the light thread. If you go the fenix route, by the time you have two torches, two mounts some batteries and rechargers you will probably be knocking on £100, you might really want to add £50 to your budget and get an airbike light, read the review it is bloody awesome and for £125 you can't go too far wrong...
Acrtally i just have the one Fenix on the bars, my helmet light is a Light and Motion Stella 180 which cost me £175, but it is not that much brighter than the Fenix! The only reason that dosen't completely piss me off is the battery last's for 5 hours on full power. Although they do get drowned out by Nick's portable sun, and Roe and Ade's Planet X and On Ones's, i get on ok with them, I can see enough to still ride at my normal pace. If i were you i would get 2 of the most powerful Fenix's you can afford, but make sure ou get the ones that use AA batteries, as the others cost a fortune and rechargeable don't hold their charge as well as rechargeable AA's.
Sorry Andy, your right i do recall the helmet one not being a torch! The torch you do have is pretty darn bright.

A good point that i think Andy made is that night riding is what you make of it. As i found out to my joy with the tesco's lights i could get out in the woods after dark for £30 all in and have an amazing time! I could easily see enough to ride. The only time i felt lacking was 2 weeks ago out in Blean where for once i wasn't at the back. Ade's portable sun was drowning out my light and i couldn't see anything. Once i was at the back again i was fine. The better the light the easier it is for sure, but then night biking is just that, it is meant to be dark!

I think with your budget 2 of the best fenix torches you can get will do the job brilliantly.

I know know why Andy goes so fast, he is avoiding the shadows cast by Nicks light... Which has to be seen to be believed. Birds start tweeting when he goes past!!