This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help in Ashford.
I will be off to biketart in the week to grab myself the following:

Rear mech (shimano)
Chain
Cassette
Front chain ring (e thirteen 36t)
Chain device (e thirteen)
Gear cable

I am desperately seeking some assistance to help me fit and set it all up correctly.
I also don't have many tools, especially the correct stuff to remove my chainset.

AlsO might be worth a mention that it's on a 2007 patriot-and they do not have ISCG mounts?!

Any advice on components would be good too, I was thinking an XT mech, 9 or 10 speed cassette and a nice blingy gold chain.

Regards

Steve
wouldnt fit 10 speed on a dh/play bike, you dont need that many gears for a start, and a close ratio road cassette or dh specific would be much more useful.

will be riding local round canterbury, perry/barham etc wed/thurs/fri
Bit of a pain in the botty, but could you do some shopping on biketart for me?

Pick the right bits, around an XT setup and the chain device etc and I will go buy. PM the links.

It's got to be a gold chain though lol!!!

Thanks mate.
"woody90" Wrote:Bit of a pain in the botty, but could you do some shopping on biketart for me?

Pick the right bits, around an XT setup and the chain device etc and I will go buy. PM the links.

Thanks mate.

pretty sure adam has a SRAM close ration cassette in stock, assuming you do go single ring and regardless of cassette go for a small cage rear mech.
personally i would go sram but everyone has their own preference.
"woody90" Wrote:I will be off to biketart in the week to grab myself the following:

Rear mech (shimano)
Chain
Cassette
Front chain ring (e thirteen 36t)
Chain device (e thirteen)
Gear cable

I am desperately seeking some assistance to help me fit and set it all up correctly.
I also don't have many tools, especially the correct stuff to remove my chainset.

AlsO might be worth a mention that it's on a 2007 patriot-and they do not have ISCG mounts?!

Any advice on components would be good too, I was thinking an XT mech, 9 or 10 speed cassette and a nice blingy gold chain.

Regards

Steve

Will you need a bracket for the child bike trailer, saw you earlier Wink

Good work getting SWMBO to pull it up the hill.
"woody90" Wrote:Bit of a pain in the botty, but could you do some shopping on biketart for me?

Thanks mate.

Best bet would be to take the bike into Adam at bike tart and he will make sure you have the right bits if your intending to buy from there. I'm sure they would fit them too
"UphillDownDale" Wrote:Will you need a bracket for the child bike trailer, saw you earlier Wink

Good work getting SWMBO to pull it up the hill.

funny you say that, but I don't think I can get one for the maxle rear end can I?

I have tried explaining until I am blue in the face with my girl friend...."it won't fit love"......her reply...."can't you just attach it to a spoke or something, or even hold it and ride one handed"
Bit of a cock up from my point of view, because I wanted to do the towing.

you shoot of tooted your horn, where were you?

Good idea, I think I will get into Adam - and you reckon go for SRAM over shimano?

excuse my "out of dated-ness" but the fact the bike already has an XT shifter for the rear, and a saint chainset - can I still use a SRAM setup for the gears???
i.e new SRAM mech, SRAM cassette + chain, and a single ring upfront all operated from a Shimano shifter?
No you will need a Sram mech too as they are not compatible. Personally i would get a Saint rear mech. They cost a bit but are much stronger than sram mechs, and look a hell of a lot better Wink
^^^ I think thats what I meant, so I see they are not interchangeable.

I do like the look of the SAINT stuff, how good is it? I guess the fact my chain set is SAINT I should continue the flow and make the rest SAINT.

The only problem I can see is Adam doesn't stock it at the shop, and I am very much one of those people that likes to see what I am buying before handing over my cash.

Going with what someone else saod earlier regarding having a road cassette on the rear? - would one of these work with a SAINT rear mech?

I apologise in advance for all of these questions.....but I really don't have a clue with all of the new stuff on the market.

Back in my day it was LX,XT or for the snobs XTR....simple!!!
no one had disc brakes, it was XT V brakes with Koolstop pads..........and your fork choice was Z1 Bombers!!!!

everyone ran V8 pedals, and those that had XTR components ran V12's

life was pretty simple really.......

thanks in advance to everyone joining in and inputting.

Steve