This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shimano SAINT opinions.
As per opening title, what are the general view on Shimano SAINT components?

I am in desperate need of a new drive train minus the chainset, which is already Shimano SAINT.

I need a new rear mech, cassette, chain and single ring upfront.

So if anyone has any input on Shimano SAINT and its equal competition and reasons for and against......

And perhaps is there anything in the pipeline regarding model upgrades, i.e the fact we are now a few months into 2011 already - are Shimano/SRAm releasing anything decent.
I have a short cage saint rear mech on my blood. Its ok but given the choice I would go with a SRAM X-9 as the shifting is crisper. The main pivot gets loose quite quickly which doesnt help shifting either.

Others prefer Shimano though so its personal preference, depends if you want to use a finger trigger or just use thumbs I guess.

The Saint mech has additional adjustment that helps it work better with a close ratio cassette. Having said that there are plenty of DH riders including world cup riders who are running SRAM with close ratio cassettes.

The Saint has a stronger spring to stop it flapping around although this is less of a problem with a short cage. The 2011 Shimano mechs have a partial lockout/damper which have a much greater effect on stopping the mech from flapping around.

Sounds like you are angling towards similar build components as I am running on my play bike.
looks like it, if I get a gander on a Saint setup before buying that would be good.

I am label tart when it comes to bike bits, and not always looking at function over form.
You can thumb shift with all Shimano shifters now, even Deore. Several people have commented on how fragile Sram mechs are, so that is enough for me to stick with Shimano. I prefer the shifting too, Sram just feels too agricultural.
Ive found my Sram x9 rear mech far from fragile. Its been bent back into shape 3 times and refuses to give up working. I didnt like Sram shifting at first but nowe wouldnt go back.
"Treehugger" Wrote:You can thumb shift with all Shimano shifters now, even Deore. Several people have commented on how fragile Sram mechs are, so that is enough for me to stick with Shimano. I prefer the shifting too, Sram just feels too agricultural.

Err, I was saying that you only have thumb options with sram, shimano gives a finger trigger option. I havent found SRAM to be weak, I think it shifts better than shimano and is easier to setup. Shimano obviously think its shifts better too as they are now almost using SRAMS 1:1 with the new 10 speed.

You are welcome to come and take a look at my setup and shoot the breeze over options.
"woody90" Wrote:As per opening title, what are the general view on Shimano SAINT components?

I am in desperate need of a new drive train minus the chainset, which is already Shimano SAINT.

I need a new rear mech, cassette, chain and single ring upfront.

So if anyone has any input on Shimano SAINT and its equal competition and reasons for and against......

And perhaps is there anything in the pipeline regarding model upgrades, i.e the fact we are now a few months into 2011 already - are Shimano/SRAm releasing anything decent.

2011 bike year started 1 Sep 2010

looks like new XT and new Saint coming soon.

that said Saint short cage mech runs great on DH bike and no trouble even when bent mech hanger - looks great too
Saint rear mech and 9 speed road cassette works fine
My shopping list would be a renthal 36t chain ring, an e.thirteen SRS+ chain device (2nd choice an LG1), SRAM X-9 Rear mech and shifter and SRAM chain with power link.

As I said I am running a saint rear mech and SLX shifter, I have lost count of how many times I have thought of ditching it, but the truth is I only ever use 2 gears so shifting isnt that much of a priority so money has been spent elsewhere.
might give Adam a call first thing Tuesday and see if he can get me the right bits.