This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Heavy Is Too Heavy
ok so im keeping a broad mind and browsing both full sus and hardtail for the next bikr

but some of the FS seem to be heavy, carrrera banshee x - 27kg

so really whats the heavist that you can go and still ride XC with it?
27 KG??!  That's 60 lbs!!  My Trance is somewhere around 30 lbs and isn't a particularly light build - prob about average for a FS.  I shudder to think about lugging 60lbs up a big hill...
:o surely it cant be twice the weight

had a go on one today and it felt much lighter then 27kg though, must have been a typo on halfords website as its been removed now,

so best to aim for around 30lbs?
Well, you might have to take some kind of comprimise but 27 Kg seems a bit much to me.  Ride and see what you think you can handle.  I doubt a decent 30 lb full susser is going to come cheap
Steve, i really don't think you should be thinking about a full suss yet. You need to get a bit more decent riding under your belt on a hardtail to improve your bike handling and fitness. Also for the money you are talking about it will be a piece of crap that you will spend another shed load of money on upgrading. And don't even think of the Banshee as an XC bike, it will absolutely kill you on the climbs! Get the 456 summer season frame and Rev's like you said you were definately going to get last week, at that price you'd be nuts not to!
yeh maybe half way, i had a 'test ride' (a ride with no intent of buying one  Wink ) today and its seems quite nimble, and much ligher then 27kg i thought it was just me being strong lifting it down the stairs Big Grin
"Treehugger" Wrote:Steve, i really don't think you should be thinking about a full suss yet. You need to get a bit more decent riding under your belt on a hardtail to improve your bike handling and fitness. Also for the money you are talking about it will be a piece of crap that you will spend another shed load of money on upgrading. And don't even think of the Banshee as an XC bike, it will absolutely kill you on the climbs! Get the 456 summer season frame and Rev's like you said you were definately going to get last week, at that price you'd be nuts not to!

its going to be a few months away still so a while to work on technique, im just keeping a open mind as was suggested before, i only was looking as i had a 10 minute wait for them just to find a seat post collar Undecided
My yukon FS is 33lb and did ok for xc, but lighter = better unless you are feeling like v brave lemming. Banshee will be a bush pig simply due to weight, it's more DHer on a budget, not a bad bike, but not for xc at all.
Keep it foolish...
"pittgoat" Wrote:27 KG??!  That's 60 lbs!!  My Trance is somewhere around 30 lbs and isn't a particularly light build - prob about average for a FS.  I shudder to think about lugging 60lbs up a big hill...

Must be a typo for sure, I heard somewhere than DH bikes weigh about 45lbs so they can 'hold a line' among other things.
Plus 60lbs is quite simply not liftable by one person without causing severe pain and permanent damage
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
I wouldn't bother buying a new cheapish FS bike. Thats not me being a tart (although I am one lol) but just common sense. It will weigh a lot more than a HT of the same price. If we are talking a fair bit under a grand then it will have basic forks and rear shock and together with its componentry, they will be at the level of a HT a few hundred quid less. I really wouldn't buy a new FS bike unless it was £1200+ else it will be to much of comprimise. Also cheaper ones will have coil forks and shocks and as you are not a featherweight (not taking the p1ss!) you may need stiffer springs like I did in my old coil pikes. Theres a chance you could get these free when you buy the bike but if not you are talking £40 for the forks and probably similar for the shock so it all adds up. Get a more expensive bike with air forks/shock and you adjust with a £15 pump that you can probably get chucked in free.

For now I would get a different frame if you wished ie a Inbred and some decent forks then wheels if you need them. Then in a year or so if you want to move to FS either buy a 2nd hand frame which can be as little as half original price when only a year old and move the bits over or get a 2nd hand FS bike which again will be cheap. Splitting a bike to sell in parts always gets far more than selling it whole so there are bargains if you find a whole bike.

I love my Inbred but originally bought a FS bike a few years back simply so that I could ride for further as being 67, I get aches and pains and a bit of comfort allows me to enjoy riding more but as you are far younger, your body probably isnt totally shot yet heh