This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New bike advice
As many of you know, I've been itching to buy a new bike for a while and the Wales trip really just finalised that (thanks Nigel).

As I'm injured and will be off the bike for the next month at the very least, probably closer to 2 months maybe even more, I have a lot of time to research, seek opinions and advice.

I like the five AM and is probably highest on my list but I'm not writing off other options.

I'll be reading every review I can find and hopefully test ride too once I have a short list.
sailor has supplied a lot of valuable advise already but I'm just not ready for single ring up front. Not yet Wink

New bike needs to be in the All Mountain / Enduro range.
Travel (how much is too much?), bikes, opinions, let's have 'em...

Oh, key figure is ~3k and none of this press-fit bottom bracket nonsense.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.biketart.com/collections/bikes-mtb/products/lapierre-spicy-516-2011">http://www.biketart.com/collections/bik ... y-516-2011</a><!-- m -->

not sure if they have a press fit bb.....

sarecen ariel (serious) test rode the one at biketart, felt amazing. half your budet too.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Saracen-Ariel-3-Mountain-Bike-2011-Full-Suspension-MTB_41523.htm">http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Saracen-Ariel-3 ... _41523.htm</a><!-- m -->

Spesh pitch.... but they were a bit common in wales  Tongue
What about this one or this one for the short list?

And is 160mm too much for going up hills?
Any 160mm owners care to comment? Adie.J rode a spicy around Wales all weekend.
&quot; Wrote:What about this one or this one for the short list?

Rus, mark, myself, andy, all rode 160mm up hill, tbh, just need to make sure you keep the weight down in the components....
160 is over kill for trail riding to be honest, but its good to know that my bike can do anything.
I dont think 160 is to much to ri up hill, as longs your going to put the full 160 to use on the way down. I'm not sure your pootler or not sorry. I've never felt than 140 is not enough travel, except when ive wanted to do serious downhill.
Spicy has a pressfit BB btw. I rode bedgebury with you on my 160mm FS and also had my best XC race result for years with it a few weeks ago. If I had the choice though I wouldnt use it for normal trail riding as it is heavy and overkill for most stuff. Forks not so much but you dont need 160mm out back, 140 F+R good comprimise although longer forks useful if you do DH stuff a lot
&quot; Wrote:What about this one or this one for the short list?

160mm is fine going up if it is well controlled suspension, I.e. dosnt bob all over the place when peddling and isn't too heavy. My Enduro is 160 front, 150 rear and peddles uphill fine being a 4 bar host link and there is very little bob, but it is a little on the heavy side which made Brechfa very hard work, so something under 32lb would be good.

I like the Mondraker Dune.
&quot;Deadpool2e&quot; Wrote:160 is over kill for trail riding to be honest, but its good to know that my bike can do anything.

I agree. Ideally you would have a short travel XC bike and a longer travel AM bike, but if you can only have the one bike and want to do everything from XC to DH, then 160 would be the way to go IMO, with a head angle around 66deg preferably.
Already have an XC bike Wink