This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driveside crank play
I've been stripping down my drivetrain to give it a good going over and remove the hard to get at winter crud. Without the chain tension the driveside crank is veeery wobbly - there's about half an inch of side to side movement at the pedal.

The cranks are sram x9 and it's a press-fit bb30 bottom bracket which is completely new to me; is there an obvious way to tighten the crank or do I need some new tools?
Are these X-9 10 speed?

There are a couple of cranksets I think and im not sure which is road and mtb.

One set has a preload ring on the non drive side, like old XTR, tighten this to remove play.

The other crankset I think is similar to raceface in that it has a centre crank arm bolt, in this case you just need to tighten up the bolt.

This is just a guess as to what cranks you have, pics would make it more obvious and easy to offer help.
Yep 10 speed. They're the 2011 versions but panic averted.

I'd been looking for something like the preload ring but they have a central bolt - I've nipped it up to 30Nm which is as high as my torque wrench goes and they seem to run nice and true now with no wobble. The recommended torque is around 50Nm though, think I'll have to lock out the wrench and get an extension bar on the 6 inch handle  Big Grin

Handily though this probably explains why my front mech had a habit of throwing the chain during some changes despite being set up to within a micron of it's life  :B
"Heading South" Wrote:Handily though this probably explains why my front mech had a habit of throwing the chain during some changes despite being set up to within a micron of it's life  :B

might have something to do with it  :Smile ;D