This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fox RP2 help needed...
okay its a nice sunny day and I thought I'd clean the bike. I took off the rear shock a fox float rp2 and began cleaning. The pro pedal sounded a bit crunchy and appeared gunked up. So in my wisdom removed the shock from the frame undid the blue pro pedal switch thingy and cleaned that.

Now here is the problem I undid the dampner/rebound thingy (the pink bit on the shock) as it still sounded crucnhy and mucky and puled it up to get to the sh!t underneath. Its now clean and can't get the dampner back in!

I've I mauled it, is it easy o get back in, does it need to go Mojo?

Anyone else had any issues like this

Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated
I take it you have removed both the red rebound knob and the blue propedal switch?

If this is the case then its really a job for Mojo, the red rebound knob actuates a lever which requires quite a bit of pressure to hold it back so the easiest method is to de-pressurise the rebound system (a job for Mojo).

Having said that there is a method which does work but also requires a bit of patience and some luck!

If you look at the back of the red rebound knob the spindle is cam shaped such that it moves a metal tab up and down, this cam determines the amount of rebound. You need to somehow get the back of rebound knob to sit in between the metal tab and the spindle (they will be touching at the moment).

First of all remove all grub screws, the one on the front houses a small spring and tiny ball bearing, dont loose them!! The second one is just a lock for the rebound knob.

There is a third grub screw at the back of the shock which acts as a stopper for the pro-pedal, you will need to remove it, just leave the pro-pedal in the off position. Next using a small screwdriver or allen key lever the 'spring loaded piece of metal' inside the shock (rebound circuit) down, and wedge the screwdriver/allen key between that and the rebound knob spindle.

Now for the tricky bit, you will need to get a needle and bend it (into sort of a U shape) so that you can put it through the hole that the 3rd grub screw fits into, the idea is to get the needle to pass from the grub screw hole at the back past the pro-pedal tab inside and sit  it next to the screwdriver/allen key currently holding the spindle and rebound circuit apart. you should then carefully remove the allen key so that the pin is now holding the spindle and rebound circuit tab apart. This will then provide just enough of a gap for the rebound knob to slip between the two whilst pushing the pin out of the way.

Its very tricky, be careful not to loose the pin inside the shock body, but it does work, it is much easier if you leave the shock off the bike.

once the rebound knob is back in place put the pro-pedal lever back on and lock it down so that it cant fall off again!!

Drop the ball bearing through the front grub screw hole, then the spring then the grub screw. Finally replace the other two grub screws. Put the shock back on the bike, re-pressureise it and job done. I would also take the opportunity to add some float fluid to the main air can whilst its off the bike.
Ha ha.....   that is a great description Simon and has convinced me to send my RP2 of to be serviced and possibly Pushed....
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
[quote author=]I take it you have removed both the red rebound knob and the blue propedal switch?

If this is the case then its really a job for Mojo, the red rebound knob actuates a lever which requires quite a bit of pressure to hold it back so the easiest method is to de-pressurise the rebound system (a job for Mojo).

Having said that there is a method which does work but also requires a bit of patience and some luck!

If you look at the back of the red rebound knob the spindle is cam shaped such that it moves a metal tab up and down, this cam determines the amount of rebound. You need to somehow get the back of rebound knob to sit in between the metal tab and the spindle (they will be touching at the moment).

First of all remove all grub screws, the one on the front houses a small spring and tiny ball bearing, dont loose them!! The second one is just a lock for the rebound knob.

There is a third grub screw at the back of the shock which acts as a stopper for the pro-pedal, you will need to remove it, just leave the pro-pedal in the off position. Next using a small screwdriver or allen key lever the 'spring loaded piece of metal' inside the shock (rebound circuit) down, and wedge the screwdriver/allen key between that and the rebound knob spindle.

Now for the tricky bit, you will need to get a needle and bend it (into sort of a U shape) so that you can put it through the hole that the 3rd grub screw fits into, the idea is to get the needle to pass from the grub screw hole at the back past the pro-pedal tab inside and sit  it next to the screwdriver/allen key currently holding the spindle and rebound circuit apart. you should then carefully remove the allen key so that the pin is now holding the spindle and rebound circuit tab apart. This will then provide just enough of a gap for the rebound knob to slip between the two whilst pushing the pin out of the way.

Its very tricky, be careful not to loose the pin inside the shock body, but it does work, it is much easier if you leave the shock off the bike.

once the rebound knob is back in place put the pro-pedal lever back on and lock it down so that it cant fall off again!!

Drop the ball bearing through the front grub screw hole, then the spring then the grub screw. Finally replace the other two grub screws. Put the shock back on the bike, re-pressureise it and job done. I would also take the opportunity to add some float fluid to the main air can whilst its off the bike.
[/quote]

Yeah see none of that is me and besides I've wrecked it. Its winging its way to Mojo as we speak
Taking your shock to pieces to get out of riding with me is going a bit far, don't you think Wink The moral of this story, don't clean your bike!

I can't ride tonight now by the way.
[quote author=]I take it you have removed both the red rebound knob and the blue propedal switch?

[/quote]

simples :-)