This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garmin heart rate
I have been using the Garmin 305 heart rate strap again over the last month but this weekend on both rides the reading have been showing 230 + when my heart rate would be about a 100 . I have a new battery in the strap. Do the strays go wrong or should I borrow my brother Garmin 305 and see if it is the head unit.
Have you tested to make sure you arent really going that high?
I had just been  riding for about 5/10 minutes and I know normaly my max is about 165 where I know I can not cannot go any heigher and I did not feel like that. GOogled it and 230 seems to be a reading people get, I am going to check the battery incase it is flat. Ps Oldbury hill looking good now and fast to ride. Keith.
Does it eventually revert to the correct reading once you have warmed up.  The chest straps work best with a little moisture, try running under a bit of water before you put it on.
Mine has been doing this intermittently when riding to work. Reloaded the software but still happens.
Looks like the problem with the strap is a duff strip of new batterys I have got as it has been ok today after I fitted a battery I got dinner time.
As a side issue, it's been taking my garmin (305) the best part of 5-6 minutes to locate itself/start tracking when I turn it on. I've emptied the memory and reloaded the software from the Garmin website but it still takes ages to find itself.
I found the HRM to go screwy in that way when it was too loose - particularly when carrying a camelback as the straps could cause the HRM strap to come away from my chest.
"General Sparks" Wrote:As a side issue, it's been taking my garmin (305) the best part of 5-6 minutes to locate itself/start tracking when I turn it on. I've emptied the memory and reloaded the software from the Garmin website but it still takes ages to find itself.

Climatic conditions mostly... try a different location. At my house it will take AGES in the garden and outside the front of the house, but only a few metres away (outside the garage or along the path) it'll be very quick.