This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wtd: cheapish suspension forks
Hi all

I'm after some cheapish suspension forks for my bike as the tracks I'm riding are shaking me and the bike to bit's, I'm new to the site and only recently got back on my bike  :B

I don't know what I need or if I can fit any to my frame [had a mate just a few days ago explain what steerer length meant] but not got a fortune to spend so am limited, what I can tell you is I love off road country tracks through woodlands with dips and bumps and ruts etc. I'm quite heavy and 6-4" , I like standing up through most of the ride [no suspension and a sore arse dictates that] and very seldom do I go on the roads.

The steerer length is 225mm and I think it's 1 1/8" diameter, here's a pic of the front of my bike [don't laugh]

resim

As funds are limited forks don't have to be pretty, I don't know good makes so as long as they work and aren't to complicated I'm easy, oh and the closer to Walderslade Chatham the better.

Thanks for looking and any helpful advice appreciated.

Brian.
What's your budget matey ?, what sort of riding do you do, how much travel ?

Steve was selling some pikes for 100 quid
What frame is it? By fitting suspension forks you will be raising the front end and bottom bracket quite a bit as the axle to crown length will be more, so your frame might not be compatible.
I'd imagine most xc frames can do 80/100mm ?
Wow! cheers for all the replies guy's  ;D

Hi  Si.Ozzy

Budget is cheap as possible, between jobs at mo so cheaper the better.

Been back on bikes for six weeks and so far done Kings Wood and Bewl Water, enjoying getting off the main drag to the little paths off the side. Lot's of bump's roots, odd log to get over, getting more adventurous and loving it.
Don't know what Pikes are so will google them after Wink

Hi ya  Treehugger

I own an old aluminium Claude Butler bike, it's not comparable with anything you guys have and I won't have the money to change it so got to make the best. It is really light and bottom gear is so low you have problems keeping the front wheel on the ground, it's great uphill though.
Would it be a problem if the front is raised up higher, I'm tall and always wished the handlebars would come up a bit. I do like my bike and I know it's old fashioned and outdated but I'm having fun and other than petrol to get to venues it's not costing us much Wink

Hi JimmyReload

Sorry I don't know what an XC frame is :B I think I can live with and extra 80-100mm out front though Big Grin [sorry]
The problem with raising the front is the added stresses on the frame. If the frame is not designed for bigger forks you could end up breaking the frame.

XC = Cross Country. One of the many different schools of mountain biking.
[quote author=]The problem with raising the front is the added stresses on the frame. If the frame is not designed for bigger forks you could end up breaking the frame.

XC = Cross Country. One of the many different schools of mountain biking.[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation I can see where you're coming from now, still gotta get some bounce in there somewhere though because it's shaking me and the bike to bits Sad
I would be more concerned if it was an expensive frame but it's just an old bike, mind you I wouldn't want it breaking with me on it :o
Hiya

I do indeed have a set of RS Pikes for sale, Capeable of anything between 95 and 140mm of plush coil suspension travel, Looking for abou £100 for them

I could also sell you a nice 456 Summer Season frame to go with the forks  Tongue Tongue
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Hiya

I do indeed have a set of RS Pikes for sale, Capeable of anything between 95 and 140mm of plush coil suspension travel, Looking for abou £100 for them

I could also sell you a nice 456 Summer Season frame to go with the forks  Tongue Tongue

I'll have a google on RS pikes as I haven't a clue what they look like and I'll also see if I can find a pic of a 456 frame though if it's a lot of money I'm not your guy  :B

Will the forks fit my bike as is or do I need to buy more bits to fit them?
You need to check the size of the headtube, Pikes have a 1 and 1/8th inch steerer,  You look like you have a 1 and 1/8th inch stem, but the headset leads me to believe its a 1 inch headtube

Will also need a 20mm axled wheel, Which i doubt you do due to the rigid fork Sad

Looking for £80 for the frame(including headset, seatpost/clamp and saddle) and £100 for the fork