This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wobbly rear suspension
Took my full sus out for a few laps at capstone this eve but only made one lap as I'd lost all stiffness on the rear. When I stopped to take a look I noticed a lot of play in the rear triangle. Further inspection showed most play in the main pivot above the bottom bracket.

With my lack of mechanical experience I'm thinking the bearings have gone.  Is this likely and is it easy to repair?

Thanks

Tim
"BottleIt" Wrote:Took my full sus out for a few laps at capstone this eve but only made one lap as I'd lost all stiffness on the rear. When I stopped to take a look I noticed a lot of play in the rear triangle. Further inspection showed most play in the main pivot above the bottom bracket.

With my lack of mechanical experience I'm thinking the bearings have gone.  Is this likely and is it easy to repair?

Thanks

Tim

Yep bearings have gone. You need to find out what number bearing it is, either try Google or remove the bolt and see if you can read the numbers on the bearing seal, then rock up on Tinc's or Mudhound's doorstep with some beer as they both have bearing presses.
UndecidedSo not terminal then? Undecided the bike is designed for xc but I've been pushing it of late since super Nigel gave me confidence in Scotland me also started to enjoy getting air (though even though it feels like a lot, i imagine i'm only getting as high as  a group of ants giving piggy backs to each other     :B )

with new bearings should. that bring stiffness back?
I think it'll bring sexy back.

Just make sure your pivot bolts are good and tight first, fair chance they've loosened slightly.
Keep it foolish...
As always I'm happy to help - or point & laugh Wink

Remind me of your steed..... Undecided
"Tinc" Wrote:As always I'm happy to help - or point & laugh Wink

Remind me of your steed..... Undecided

I have a list of things I want to do when I get back. Item 6 on my list is "develop a bike mechanical so I can go round Tincs house with cake and biscuit and talk for 3 hours about endless random stuff whilst drinking tea."
"Blackers" Wrote:I have a list of things I want to do when I get back. Item 6 on my list is "develop a bike mechanical so I can go round Tincs house with cake and biscuit and talk for 3 hours about endless random stuff whilst drinking tea."

Hahaha! We have had some top natters haven't we.
Maybe we should try it without the mechanicals Undecided

I was assuming you'd be round to show us your photos ;D
"Tinc" Wrote:Hahaha! We have had some top natters haven't we.

Just a few!

Most definatley. Will you want to see all 9,000 or shall I cull?  Wink

Just a few!

Just a few!