This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumbbell Exercises?
Having discovered the bug again I am keen to get my strength up a bit.

So as I have a set of dumbells gathering dust I'm looking for some advice on what exercises to do to that relate to MTB.
I also ride to work 3 1/2 miles each way(fixed) so am probably looking to do more upper body.

At the moment I'm thinking about doing

Calf rasies on the stairs
Goblet squats
Wood chops (light dumbell on shoulder, swing down and round to opposite hip)
Bicep curls
Arnold presses
Forearm curls(wrest forearms on knees and tilt wrists up)

Not sure if it's worth doing pyramid or normal sets.

Any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.
Stick them in your camelback and go for a ride  Wink

Sorry.  :B
Ideally you want to be working the bigger compound (multi joint) moves rather than isolation exercises like curls as they offer more bang for buck.

Your routine there doesn't have any back/chest exercises. If you can get a pull up bar then pull ups/chin-ups will build biceps way bigger than any bicep curl, plus (and mainly) develop your lats. Yu can get a decent one from Robert Dyas for £30. If you have a bench then variations of chest presses - flat/incline/decline will develop your chest, triceps and anterior deltoids.

As a basic routine, assuming your going to work out 3 times a week, I'd suggest something like:

Chest Press/Press ups
Chin Ups/pull ups
Squats
Shoulder Presses
Bent over rows
Bicep curls (because nobody is ever happy unless they've fed the guns)

Forget pyramid sets, its good to keep it simple when starting out. 3 x 8, 3 x 12, 4 x 6, 5 x 5, changing it up every 4-6 weeks.

Other  bits:

In the first few weeks your lifts will go up a fair bi this is mainly your CNS will learning how to do the moves and recruit more muscle fibres to do the lifts than added muscle.
You don't have to go to failure every session.
Back off a little every 4th week to allow recovery- particularly heavy sessions can take up to 72 hours to recover from.
Ignore protein shakes and just try to maintain a good diet - food is cheaper and won't make your farts reek.
Its important to work opposing muscle groups, not necessarily in the same session but overall to keep a balanced physique. Muscle imbalances can lead to injury.

Listen to the rocky Soundtrack, research has shown that this increases muscle size and strength by 27%.
Quote:Ignore protein shakes and just try to maintain a good diet - food is cheaper and won't make your farts reek.

How much would you have to spend on a personal trainer before you got that level of advice Undecided
Fitness quote of the year so far ;D

Good informative reply - top job General Wink
Thanks very much for the info.

No bench and limited space, so it looks like I will be trying to get a chin up bar!

BBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFCCCCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEE!
"Tinc" Wrote:How much would you have to spend on a personal trainer before you got that level of advice Undecided
Fitness quote of the year so far ;D

Good informative reply - top job General Wink

Cheers Tinc.
I have some small dumbbells I also never used, was funny when I bought them but that would be OT
You weren't hurling them at cats were you? Big Grin
The following is 100% true....

No. I had parked a distance out of town one lunch time as I refused to pay the 80p to park closer. I wandered into Argos and purchased the 20kg(?) set of dumb bells. At no point leading up to this had it occured to me that they might be heavy and carrying them for a 15 minute walk could be quite tedious.

I was in complete agony after 5 minutes, arms killing me and I kept having to stop for rests. A short while later I crouched down on the pavement and rested the box on my upper legs if you can picture that just to give my arms a break. Just as someone was about to walk past I promptly lost my balance and rolled over backwards onto my back with the weights on my groin and my legs kicking in the air and this continued as the pedestrian walked past and continued on their way ignoring my plight. I managed to push the box off me and rolled sideways partially down a bank before managing to get back up.

I then continued my walk back to my car and my arms were fcked for a week from the strained muscles, couldnt ride etc....
Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin