This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crown Races
I've been sent a new headset for my Whyte but it doesnt have a crown race.... Am I right in thinking that virtually any crown race designed for a sealed bearing will fit a sealed bearing lower headset bearing.  Undecided
Well depends on the bearing used surely for the angle of it, ive had ones in the past which werent the same, lots these days use the same bearings so you may be ok, I would go back to headset supplier and request the crown race
"Breezer" Wrote:Well depends on the bearing used surely for the angle of it, ive had ones in the past which werent the same, lots these days use the same bearings so you may be ok, I would go back to headset supplier and request the crown race

May have to but its taken 2 weeks to get this far..... its in the capable hands of CycklesUk in Maidstone who are dealing directly with the Marin dealer (near you whos name I cant remember) but hopefully they will be able to find something laying around & pop it in the bag   Big Grin Big Grin
This headset thing is getting really silly!
You want a headrace to match matey - even if something else "will do"

Maybe drop "Dean85" a pm & point out the shop appears to be struggling with what should be a very simple task.
At the very least it doesn't say much for Marin aftersales
Have you tried understanding the new "simplied" SHIS thing, its a joke, ZR44 etc wtf, just tell me if its 1.5" and external or not!
"Tinc" Wrote:This headset thing is getting really silly!
You want a headrace to match matey - even if something else "will do"

Maybe drop "Dean85" a pm & point out the shop appears to be struggling with what should be a very simple task.
At the very least it doesn't say much for Marin aftersales

Unfortunately Dean & CyclesUK are just the recipeant in all of this & arent really at any fault, they havent gained anything financiallybut still put in th effort for me to try to sort it out for which I am grateful. ATB Sales wont deal directly with me, event though that would seem the sensible option. On the bright side I do have a shiney Carbon headset now sitting on my desk & a crown race that does seem to be suitable... I guess as long as the chamfer is the same on the bearimng the headset will fit anyway. If the Hope one fits (I'll know when I strip it later) I'll use that one as its the split type & will be easier to fit.
All good so far. Frame now Heli taped, new cables & headset sitting on the desk. May even start to swap things over this weekend if I get time.  ;D
"Breezer" Wrote:Have you tried understanding the new "simplied" SHIS thing, its a joke, ZR44 etc wtf, just tell me if its 1.5" and external or not!

ZS = Zero Stack
EC = External
IS = Integrated.......wheres the S in that  Big Grin Big Grin

Who knows the bore diameters of their steerer & clamp diameters in mm's   Undecided
Nope I can confirm that the crown race sent doesnt sadly doesnt fit  >Sad