This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bearing Help ?
ok so the other day i was giving the bike a quick once over, adjusting the disk brakes and noticed a bit of play in the front wheel.  I took the front wheel off and some of the internals of the hub (bearings etc) went everywhere.  so now im looking at replacing the bearings as i have lost 2 or 3 and also when spinning the wheel it makes a clicky noise  ??)

So i have a few questions some may seem stupid but i started knowing nothing in september and im slowly learning but bare with me  Big Grin

Is it possible to replace lose bearings with catridge(sealed?) bearings?
I seemed to or the last owner seems to of lost the front bearing seals, can these be replaced?
How much am i looking at to have the work done in a shop ? (not sure any of you guys will know but just a rough idea will do)
Im by no means an expert on bearings, but Im lead to believe it maybe easier to simply buy a new hub from your LBS and have them fit it.

It maybe the case that you may continue to have issues with it.

"Personally" and not knowing the history of it, I would buy a new hub.

You can however buy new bearings, and a simple service should sort it - maybe pop it into your LBS for some guidance.

My LBS would fit the hub if I bought it from him included in the price, not sure if others follow the same practice.
I'm pretty sure Downlands would fit it for free if you bought it from them, and they are really quick too. When i got my new headset fitted i called them on a Sunday morning and it was done by 3pm.

You can buy new ball bearings but can't replace them with cartridge bearings. If the seals are missing too that means god knows what crap has been spinning around inside with the bearings, so i would bet the inner and outer races are fooked, so i would also suggest a new hub. You can get some fairly decent ones for 20-30 quid.
"Treehugger" Wrote:I'm pretty sure Downlands would fit it for free if you bought it from them, and they are really quick too. When i got my new headset fitted i called them on a Sunday morning and it was done by 3pm.

You can buy new ball bearings but can't replace them with cartridge bearings. If the seals are missing too that means god knows what crap has been spinning around inside with the bearings, so i would bet the inner and outer races are fooked, so i would also suggest a new hub. You can get some fairly decent ones for 20-30 quid.

ok cheers for that andy and BMJboy

so are catridge bearings worth the extra money?
and how much is the extra money going to be?
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:ok cheers for that andy and BMJboy

so are catridge bearings worth the extra money?
and how much is the extra money going to be?
I don't think you quite understand. You CAN NOT replace the ball bearings in your existing hub with cartridge bearings, they are two completely different systems and are totally incompatible. If the inner and outer races (the bearing surfaces the bearings run in) then you could replace the existing bearings, but if the seals are missing i wouldn't reccommend this as i guarentee you'll have more problems with it in the future.

What i would reccommend is either this or this  Both have sealed cartridge bearings, but the hope has labarinth seals which are much better. I used to jetwash my bike and both ends are still running sweet as, which is testament to how good the seals are. I know they are a lot of money but they are worth it in the long run. But if you want to spend a bit less everyone seems to rave about Shimano XT hubs, but then you are still stuck with cup and cone bearings which aren't sealed very well, and you will spend most of your life tightening them up.
"Treehugger" Wrote:I don't think you quite understand. You CAN NOT replace the ball bearings in your existing hub with cartridge bearings, they are two completely different systems and are totally incompatible. If the inner and outer races (the bearing surfaces the bearings run in) then you could replace the existing bearings, but if the seals are missing i wouldn't reccommend this as i guarentee you'll have more problems with it in the future.

What i would reccommend is either this or this  Both have sealed cartridge bearings, but the hope has labarinth seals which are much better. I used to jetwash my bike and both ends are still running sweet as, which is testament to how good the seals are. I know they are a lot of money but they are worth it in the long run. But if you want to spend a bit less everyone seems to rave about Shimano XT hubs, but then you are still stuck with cup and cone bearings which aren't sealed very well, and you will spend most of your life tightening them up.

yeh i got that you cant replace them, i meant that should i pay out the extra to get hubs with sealed bearing, i should of made this clearer  :B

i suppose i can survive with the suntours for a while longer, as you know if you upgrade the front its only law you must upgrade the rear Wink

i assume the canterbury bike shop wont stock these   Undecided
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:yeh i got that you cant replace them, i meant that should i pay out the extra to get hubs with sealed bearing, i should of made this clearer  :B

i suppose i can survive with the suntours for a while longer, as you know if you upgrade the front its only law you must upgrade the rear Wink

i assume the canterbury bike shop wont stock these   Undecided
Think i saw some Pro 11's in Downlands last week.  Yeah i think they are definately worth the extra money as when the inner and outer races wear out then the hub is junk, whereas with the Hope you can just keep changing the cartridge bearings indefinately without the hassle of getting the wheel rebuilt every time. I can't see a cup and cone hub lasting more than 2 years max if you ride every day.
"Treehugger" Wrote:Think i saw some Pro 11's in Downlands last week.  Yeah i think they are definately worth the extra money as when the inner and outer races wear out then the hub is junk, whereas with the Hope you can just keep changing the cartridge bearings indefinately without the hassle of getting the wheel rebuilt every time. I can't see a cup and cone hub lasting more than 2 years max if you ride every day.

thats all a bonus to me, i just love the noise they make Wink

a new wheelset seems more investable then a new fork to me right now as 1) i cant ride without wheels 2) Pro 11's are going to be much better then a wheelset i will receive on the new bike  Big Grin

EDIT : dont suppose you managed to grab a look at the price andy?
I doubt your hubs are cartridge bearings because they would have to be seriously screwed for a bearing to come loose.

They are proberly cup and cone type hubs, take them to downlands and they will replace the bearings and sort them out. Prob cost a max of £15

Job done.
"Buzz" Wrote:I doubt your hubs are cartridge bearings because they would have to be seriously screwed for a bearing to come loose.

They are proberly cup and cone type hubs, take them to downlands and they will replace the bearings and sort them out. Prob cost a max of £15

Job done.

as explained further up though its not that simpleSad, the seals are missing on both sides (dont ask me why as i dont have a clue :o) so if what andy says is true its more likely going to be worth sticking a new hub in there and of course a new back one as well i like to co-ordinate  8)